Day One Cross Review

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
OK,

Just an excuse to show off my commuter of the last 3 months a Day One Cross. The bike was sourced from Billy Bilslands Cycles in Scotland after I saw the Orange model with drop bars in 52cm sizing (nowhere else in the country had them. However as I was abroad with work whilst BBCs were trying to contact me they did not have it in stock. I called on my return and they offered to set a standard grey model with drop bars and levers. Also by way of compensation they installed at my request some v-brake adjusters. Telling the guys at BBCs how pleased I was with it they stated they would do the same mod for around £75 notes on a std grey model, so anyone after a Day One Cross and can't get hold of one in their size this looks to be a great solution.

IMG_0730.jpg
IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0713.jpg

So how does it ride? Chuffing great. The 3T bars are awesome in terms of comfort, despite only having thin tape on. There is little toe overlap, which is impressive considering the straight forks and the single speed gearing is great for down here in Devon. It's light enough to carry onto a train to pop to the GF's in Exeter, and the morning climbs to work are now extra challening. Do for £500 I got a great fun go anywhere bike that looks fantastic and has people asking about it whenever I am stopped somewhere. Since the photos a proper pair of shimano DX spd pedals are fitted, but other than that, that is all that has changed (reflectors junked obviously). Would I buy another? Yes in a heartbeat.

+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Why did you have the adjusters (circular travel agents) added?
    I had some added to an old bike as there wasn't enough pull on the brake levers (it turned out that the m\nufacturer had fitted the incorrect ones)
    However the cable kept fraying inside them and on one occasion slipped out of the travel agent whilst I was going down hill.
    I can see that yours are fitted with another copnent which should prevent that.
  • symo
    moonio wrote:
    Why did you have the adjusters (circular travel agents) added?
    I had some added to an old bike as there wasn't enough pull on the brake levers (it turned out that the m\nufacturer had fitted the incorrect ones)
    However the cable kept fraying inside them and on one occasion slipped out of the travel agent whilst I was going down hill.
    I can see that yours are fitted with another copnent which should prevent that.

Mainly on very similar advice from a friend so I asked Bislands and they were happy to do it. They do provide another level of adjustment and are very secure.

Edit : Forgot to so they are a bit more progressive too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • CTank
    CTank Posts: 46
    Love that bike. I tried to order one thorugh the C2W scheme, but I think they (the orange ones) sold out almost instantly!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I heard it was so popular they've moved the 2011 version forward a bit. Due in August for £520 I believe.
  • symo
    At that price its a bargain if they keep the geometry the same. Racing two friends on MTB;s across dartmoor this Saturday.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• pastryboy
    I had my eye on the DOC for months. When I finally got my c2w voucher I was told it was sold out.

Was given the choice to wait for the newer one (not sure what would have happened as my voucher was only for £500) or do the same as you and get the flat bar version converted. I went for the latter but am still waiting on it. That colour is way better than the orange.
  • symo
    Yeah, I really wanted the Orange but now in hindsight I love the simple white graphics on this instead.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• pastryboy
    On mine there's a black round bit on the SS side that sits it neatly aligned in the dropouts to hold the wheel in place but on the fixed side there's nothing there so it's held in place by the outer and inner bolts only with the screw thread sitting in the drop outs with lots of air around it.

I assume this is correct but it seems odd - would you mind checking yours?

Thanks