Close ratio hub gears

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited July 2010 in The workshop
I'm toying with putting together a cheap Winter hack, but I don't want to ride fixed/ss. In fact, I'd really like similar gearing to the ones I use to commute on my decent bike, which means 5-6 gears reasonably well spaced between 50" and 75".

Does anyone know whether this is possible with hub gears? Every other hub-geared bike I've ever ridden has a huge cadence jump, which I really hate...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    What does 'reasonably well spaced' mean to you? For regular hubs, the minimum is about 14% change per step. For a road bike, you can have steps of 6%.

The ultimate is CVT of course, which doesn't have steps, but has a continuous change. NuVinci is the only CVT available for bikes. A bit expensive, though.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Aapje wrote:
    What does 'reasonably well spaced' mean to you? For regular hubs, the minimum is about 14% change per step. For a road bike, you can have steps of 6%.
    What I really want (though it sounds like it can't be done with an off-the-shelf hub gear) is something similar to my road bike, which is somewhere between 5-7%.

My Brompton achieves reasonable spacing with a combination of hub gear and 2-speed derailleur, but that defeats the object for this build (which is to try to avoid a derailleur altogether)...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/inter ... ub-review/

Tons of detailed stuff on lots of hubs.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'm toying with putting together a cheap Winter hack, but I don't want to ride fixed/ss. In fact, I'd really like similar gearing to the ones I use to commute on my decent bike, which means 5-6 gears reasonably well spaced between 50" and 75".

Does anyone know whether this is possible with hub gears? Every other hub-geared bike I've ever ridden has a huge cadence jump, which I really hate...

I don't think there's anything currently on the market. Even the (fixed) Sturmey S3X, which is a "reinvention" of the old close-ratio ASC has a wide range.

Sturmey used to make some close-ratio hub gears- two, three & four speed ones were available at different times. You could probably find one used if you looked hard enough but it's probably not the sort of option you want for a winter hack.
    My inclination would be to go for a simple derailleur system (close ratio seven or eight speed, friction shift, single chainring) or live with the cadence jump and get a three-speed hub. Neither is really what you want....sorry.

Cheers,
    W.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    TGOTB wrote:

I don't think there's anything currently on the market. Even the (fixed) Sturmey S3X, which is a "reinvention" of the old close-ratio ASC has a wide range.

Sturmey used to make some close-ratio hub gears- two, three & four speed ones were available at different times. You could probably find one used if you looked hard enough but it's probably not the sort of option you want for a winter hack.
    My inclination would be to go for a simple derailleur system (close ratio seven or eight speed, friction shift, single chainring) or live with the cadence jump and get a three-speed hub. Neither is really what you want....sorry.

Cheers,
    W.

Following up my own posting- sad or what?

OK: try these guys: http://oldbiketrader.co.uk

They do lots of SA stuff, and are listing an "AM" model reconditioned 3-speed at the moment.

That (I believe) is a medium ratio 3-speed- roughly 15% above & 15% below the middle gear, instead of the 33% up & down that normal SA 3-speeds have. Set up a 65" middle gear and you ought to get a 56" low and a 74" high... which isn't far off what you were asking for!

I bet if you tried it you'd find three gears were enough.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Aapje
    Aapje Posts: 77
    TGOTB, have you looked at the NuVinci?

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/nuvinci.asp