Disc break advice

Unflux
Unflux Posts: 20
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey again all,

Looking at replacing my current disc breaks and having been eyeing the Avid Juciy 7 as well as the Hope M4 brakes.

Both appear to have 4/5 rating from the reviews I've read and user reviews are very positive for both brakes.

I was wondering what peoples opinions on these brakes are and what anyones personal experiences with either are?

Regards,

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike will you be fitting it to, and for what type of riding? Are you a heavy rider?
  • Unflux
    Fitting them to an '04 roast frame with fox 32s, and I'm not particularly heavy no.

As for the type of riding, it's quite mixed. I reguarly ride around the Pentland regional park outside Edinburgh which I'd suppose includes cross country, trails and some general downhill riding (around the mountains).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Juicy is an older model and has been superceded by the Elixir range - hve a look at the Elixir R or ELixir 5 too.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    +1 for the Elixir 5.

Ive got them on my Crush and so far the are really good.

To put into context im rather hefty and my other two bikes have codes on them. The elixir 5's are holding up really well though. Stopping real quick, no lock ups etc.
  • Unflux
    Would you recommend the Avid Elixir R/5 over the Hope M4 breaks then?

Cheers for the suggestions too.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Another vote for the Elixirs although if you can afford the Hopes, go for it.

I run a Mono M4 on the front of my 456 and an Elixir 5 on the rear. The M4 is slightly more powerful and easier to control in loose conditions.

The Elixir is very powerful though and has very good modulation, its just the taper bore technolgy makes it harder to feather them on surfaces like really loose gravel
  • Unflux
    Would 160mm be sufficient or would 185mm be the better option, both sizes are the same price so that's not really a factor.