Drop V Brake levers - shifters also?

DevUK
DevUK Posts: 299
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm toying with the idea of putting drops onto my Trek 7.5 FX. Problem is it has V-Brakes. I've seen that you can get drop V-brake levers but couldn't see anything about combined shifters. Do they exist?

If I wanted drops, should I consider changing over to calipers instead? Assuming there wouldn't be any compatibility issues with shifters/mechs (3spd Deore front and 9spd tiagra rear mechs).
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you can get converters for the brake lever pull - or try a mini v brake.

You would need a road type front mech.

Other option is clip on drops for a flat bar.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    supersonic wrote:
    I think you can get converters for the brake lever pull - or try a mini v brake.

Search for travel adjusters.

[Edit]

These..

And wow, they're loads more expensive than I remembered.
    I should find/sell the ones I had.

[/Edit]
  • DevUK
    Hmn, might use this as an excuse to get a roadie when my C2W scheme renews later this year :) Just need to find "the one".
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    That is quite a bit for a plastic pulley wheel. I remember my colleague asking a similar question when he bought his Giant FCR, and the response was that it wasn't really worth it - by the time you had paid for all the new bits, you had spent half the cost of a new bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    just fit cantis
    <a>road</a>
  • DevUK
    That's what I'm starting to think. The bike is 3 years old, and my first C2W purchase. There's always room for one more in the garage :)

I need to figure out what I want now. Probably something road yet commuting orientated (mounts/eyelets etc).
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have Campag Veloce linear pull brakes working with Tiagra shifters, they work great (I don't know if other mini-V's would work the same, probably). I considered travel agents but at about £36 that was 2/3rds the cost of the Campags. I am very impressed with the braking, as good as on my other bikes that have regular road callipers.

They are hard to get in the uk, but you can get them here http://www.bike24.com/p23941.html 44 Euros.

Mine were from Condor ( http://www.condorcycles.com/ ) , I specced them on the build for my touring bike for them, they could probably sort you out with some if you email them.
  • djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    You want these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34580

or these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34582

both work perfectly with sti shifters without any travel adjusters but I would get a pair of adjustable noodles with the v's which are these
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Tektro-Tektro-917.12-V-Brake-Lead-Pipe-with-Adjuster-90-Deg-18060.htm
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    My Spec Tricross came with Tiagra levers and mini-Vs, and they were rubbish - had to be adjusted to within 0.5mm of the rim to give effective breaking, and then you couldn't get a wheel out if you had a puncture. Have since changed the brakes to cantilevers and much much better.
    Would new brakes be cheaper than travel adjusters?
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    You can get drop bar brake levers specifically designed to work with standard V brakes and they work great; I have them on my fixed gear Tricross. The levers have the right cable pull which is different from standard road levers.

If you want STI shifters however I would go for wide profile cantis that allow adjustment. I have used mini-Vs and while they do work and certainly stop the bike as Mr Smooth says you have to mount the pads very close to the rim. Besides the wheel issue, (helped somewhat by adjustable noodles, but there is still no QR) any sort of slight buckle and you are fecked, as I found out to my detriment touring in Sicily.

Whatever you do don't get low profile cantis, they simply don't stop the bike in my experience.

I have converted a bike myself in the past and you might also consider just buying a road bike and selling your Trek. It is a complicated enough process and you won't end up with a road racer at the end of it. You could end up with something good for touring however.
  • DevUK
    The trek is quite road orientated, with carbon forks and compact road frame, but it's got MTB rear spacing (135mm) and mtb gearing/brakes. I hadn't though about canti's though!

I think adding up bars/brakes/STi levers and any other bits it might be more than I'd want to pay. Will definitely research different bikes now :)

Thanks for all the help :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5