Daytime Running Lights?

London_Nick
London_Nick Posts: 20
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Pretty new to the commuting scene, I started about 4 weeks ago, commuting from West London to Paddington everyday, an easy 6.5 mile ride. So far thoroughly enjoying it, much more enjoyable than catching the tube!
Anyway, already had my first close-call with a taxi. It led me to think, why don't cyclists use lights during the day, like motorbikes do?
I use one in the mornings (although daylight at 6.30am, still can be dark under trees), and there is a noticeable improvement in drivers ability to spot me, which doesn't happen on the commute home.
Any thoughts?
Started commuting in June

Comments

• mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    I've put lights on during daylight rain showers.

I think this will all become a bigger issue from next year whe all new cars (i.e. not just Swedish ones) get daytime running lights installed as standard. Then the question will be, will cyclists want to be the odd ones with no lights....some drivers will be looking for lights, not bikes.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I usually use my lights on a strobe setting during the day for the simple reason that when I am driving my car, those cyclists around me who have their lights on in the day are easier to spot.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    Anyway, already had my first close-call with a taxi. It led me to think, why don't cyclists use lights during the day, like motorbikes do?
    I use one in the mornings (although daylight at 6.30am, still can be dark under trees), and there is a noticeable improvement in drivers ability to spot me, which doesn't happen on the commute home.
    Any thoughts?
    I use mine in the day, even in summer - just put the LED's (front and back) onto flash. Anything that might get you seen by someone who might not otherwise spot you has to be good. And never had any comments from other cyclists about leaving my lights on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think a strobing light would be far better at being seen, a solid light (front especially) is too small to be seen as a straight light in brighter sunshine I would think.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    This is a good idea, I've got a exposure race light - I'll put it on pulse during the day.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    I often put my knog frogs on flash during the daytime

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    I've got a set of reelights and they flash constantly. Think they're great, proper fit and forget technology!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I don't think bike lights are generaly bright enough to make a difference in daylight, unless you've got some mountain biking night light system. Bike lights are much smaller and less powerful than car and motorbike lights. I use mine in the day if it's unusually dingy and overcast, but I think if you're concerned about safety in daylight, hi viz would show up better and be of more assistance than lights.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I dunno, I've got a bright flashing light, it gets me noticed everywhere (particularly junctions where they are most appropriate). If you're in bright sunshine and go down a tree-lined road and you're in the shadows, you're pretty well hidden.
    I seem to be the only person on my commute who does this though, hence my original question. I was beginning to feel like the odd one out! :lol:
    Started commuting in June
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I don't think bike lights are generaly bright enough to make a difference in daylight, unless you've got some mountain biking night light system. Bike lights are much smaller and less powerful than car and motorbike lights. I use mine in the day if it's unusually dingy and overcast, but I think if you're concerned about safety in daylight, hi viz would show up better and be of more assistance than lights.

I'm with london nick I dunno about this either.

walking driving and cycling I clearly spot a strobing front bike light out of a sea of car lights.

I think its the flashing and its generally a purer blue/white light.

mounted on a helmet is even better
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

walking driving and cycling I clearly spot a strobing front bike light out of a sea of car lights.

Yes, they certainly stand out in dark or dusky conditions, but in broad daylight?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

Yes, they certainly stand out in dark or dusky conditions, but in broad daylight?

Who knows? Perhaps not, but does it matter? Batteries don't cost that much.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    Even in broad daylight they can be noticed - in my car the other day I definitely noticed a strobing bike light in my rear view/wing mirrors as it got closer.

As for batteries - my rechargeables work a treat :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • jonnyboy77
    Knog Frog Strobes are £10 each at Evans at the moment I think, and they are certainly visible in the daylight.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I did see a bike today with a strobing light - yes it was obvious and made him stand out - yes it was broad daylight.

Sadly I wasn't in a suitable place to stop and turn my own lights on. His looked fairly powerful though - I'm not sure my bog-standard Cateyes would be so bright. Might check out Jon's Knog suggestion...

When I got knocked off in broad daylight when I was RIGHT IN FRONT of a woman's bonnet, somebody did ask me whether I had my lights on.. I said no, as it was 9am on a March morning and bright sunshine already - but maybe it was a good point. The lights don't point sideways, but maybe she'd then have seen my approach...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I dunno, I've got a bright flashing light, it gets me noticed everywhere (particularly junctions where they are most appropriate). If you're in bright sunshine and go down a tree-lined road and you're in the shadows, you're pretty well hidden.

+1

Bright sunny days don't necessarily mean you're more visible. The sun gives greater extremes in visibility. Consider the possibility of a motorist some distance behind you with the sun in their eyes (especially as the sun is lower in the mornings and evenings) as they come around a corner and approach a tree-tunnel. To them, in the time it takes for their eyes to adjust, the tunnel will be almost entirely dark. That is precisely why I run a fairly bright rear light in flashing mode. It might be wasted for 90% of the journey, but if it makes me significantly more visible for 10% of the journey, I'll use it . I'll probably get a front light too.
    I seem to be the only person on my commute who does this though, hence my original question. I was beginning to feel like the odd one out! :lol:

Around here any kind of cyclist is the odd one out ;) I saw 3 or perhaps 4 in ~20 miles this morning, and one of them I was riding with.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I leave a 1/2 watt red LED on the back of my bag flashing. Not sure if people leave more space but I figure they'll not leave less.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Personally, I'm ambivalent about DRL. I use them, but only to take the excuse away from any driver of not seeing me.

I defy you to not see an Exposure Maxx-D on strobe on the front, and a Dinotte 400L on the rear. This is the Dinotte on medium constant, check out the return from all the reflective signs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeVOp7_V6QE
  • jonnyboy77
  • desmosedici
    desmosedici Posts: 117
    I always do the commute with a flashing LED light front and rear. When returning home late I turn on the halogens.

As said above, it's to take the SMIDSY excuse away.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    dont forget the blackburn mars and exposure redeye.. i personally think a maxxd front light on constant is more noticeable in the day that on strobe......
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    I'd have thought you would do better to get a flourescent bib during the day.

Ask someone to stand 50 yards away with a flourescent vest and a bike torch thats on. Glance at them. Which was more obvious to you?

Plus a flourescent vest is cheaper and doesn't need batteries replacing (assuming you get the same results I did). :-)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I read a thread about daytime lighting a few weeks ago and thought it was a good idea, nothing to lose etc.

Since then I have not put my lights on once, I always seem to remember when I arrive at work or I arrive at home. Wish you could buy bike lights with sensors in...Dragons Den moment, or has it been done?
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I always have my lights on.

jonny_trousers and stevo666's thoughts are exactly the same as mine.
  • BentMikey
    tiny_pens wrote:

Ask someone to stand 50 yards away with a flourescent vest and a bike torch thats on. Glance at them. Which was more obvious to you?

Plus a flourescent vest is cheaper and doesn't need batteries replacing (assuming you get the same results I did). :-)

I dunno what the bike torch has to do with it - we're talking daytime here, so the reflectives won't be returning light. The fluo is there, but is also of debateable benefit since it blends in with workmen.

There's no comparing hiviz and lights - lights are waaaaaay more effective. Good road positioning is way more effective still.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    I always do the commute with a flashing LED light front and rear. When returning home late I turn on the halogens.

As said above, it's to take the SMIDSY excuse away.

Nothing we ever do will get rid of the SMIDSY, to think that a small low powered flashing light will make a driver see you when they are not looking for you is a false hope.

Divers will only see what they are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg6qcgoay4

is a good example of this.

I always think that dirvers are looking for danger things that could cuase them damage like lorries and other cars.
    Motor bikes and cycles are not a danger to the driver so they dont think about looking for them. Look at the goverment adverts to try to get drivers to think bike when they are driveing around, the road signs up near schools to warn of children or near old peoples homes for old people crossing the street.

By all means put a light on every little helps but i would not say that you could ever expect it to save you from a smidsy....... My last smidsy was due to them playing on the ipod while pulling out of a junction. :roll:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    BentMikey wrote:
    tiny_pens wrote:

I dunno what the bike torch has to do with it - we're talking daytime here, so the reflectives won't be returning light. The fluo is there, but is also of debateable benefit since it blends in with workmen.

There's no comparing hiviz and lights - lights are waaaaaay more effective. Good road positioning is way more effective still.

I'm talking about bike torches because people are suggesting knogg lights. Maybe torch is the wrong term.

I might be confusing the terms flourescent and Hi Vis. I'm talking about the really bright coloured vests you can buy. We agree that the luminescent strips are not helpful in daylight. I believe that what drivers do is they look for recognisable objects. Motorcyclists often wear Hi Viz vests so if you can fit the same shape you might get a second look. I don't know about you but I notice big yellow blobs ahead of me more than I notice the small headlight when I see motorcycles in the distance during the day.

Might be the difference of living outside the city - besides, most workmen round here wear orange vests anyway so bright pink really helps you stand out!

I agree about the road positioning though.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    tiny_pens wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:
    tiny_pens wrote:

I'm talking about bike torches because people are suggesting knogg lights. Maybe torch is the wrong term.

I might be confusing the terms flourescent and Hi Vis. I'm talking about the really bright coloured vests you can buy. We agree that the luminescent strips are not helpful in daylight. I believe that what drivers do is they look for recognisable objects. Motorcyclists often wear Hi Viz vests so if you can fit the same shape you might get a second look. I don't know about you but I notice big yellow blobs ahead of me more than I notice the small headlight when I see motorcycles in the distance during the day.

Might be the difference of living outside the city - besides, most workmen round here wear orange vests anyway so bright pink really helps you stand out!

I agree about the road positioning though.

Small question but as Hi-Vis seems to be flavour of the month -

What's the difference between a Hi-Vis (non-reflective) jacket and a garish cycling jersey?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    I recently started using my lights during the day and I have to say that SMIDSY incidents have reduced significantly. Even on the brightest day, there are still lots of places in shade.

SMIDSY's still happen but they tend to be drivers who would have pulled out in front of anyone as they did not bother to look or the really bad drivers who just do not care.
  • BentMikey
    wyadvd wrote:
    i personally think a maxxd front light on constant is more noticeable in the day that on strobe......

Anecdotally, the answer to that would be a categoric no. I'm often filtering assertively on the offside, and the flash really gets drivers' attention. A few times I've been told that they thought I was a copper.