Anyone a member of london pheonix or finsbury park?

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I have two clubs vying for my signature :roll: is anyone a member of london pheonix or finsbury park?

if so can you tell me a bit about your club (mentality, people, riding stuff)

Thanks

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Not me, but sure I posted a thread on here about Phoenix a while back and dug out a member - they're fast boys so you'll need your rocket boots on to keep up. And is red/yellow a good combo for you???

You could try searching for the "London Phoenix" thread that I posted if it's still held on the server.

Me? Too slow and don't live in the smoke.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spasypaddy
    i cant find anything :( i know they are fast but they seem like quite a big club with a lot of flexibility to ride times unlike other clubs. They dont seem to have set times for rides but its all organised on their forum.

both teams kits will work for me
    :lol:
  • You could try the road forum.
  • spasypaddy
    yeah i know but i wouldnt know where to post it over there as there are so many sub forums (and i only ever read the buying advice section)
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm a member of Phoenix and can vouch wholeheartedly for them, you won't find a nicer bunch of cyclists. Yep there's some fast riders, and some who aren't so quick, but we seem able to accomodate everyone. There's a definate competetive edge, but it's always good natured and we pride ourselves on being one of the nicest clubs arround. There are two sections, off-road and road with the two meeting in the middle with cross (which I stay well clear of, bloody perverts!). A lot of people will tell you there's a big emphasis on racing, which is partly true, but no-ones ever preasured into anything, and there are certainly a lot of members who only do social rides and sportives.

The great thing I've found with Phoenix is there are plenty of opportunities to have a go at everything, but it's like anything, the more effort you put in the more you'll get out of it. Personally I love the club, joining was the best decision I ever made as a cyclist and I haven't looked back :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • spasypaddy
    hi rich, im definitely leaning towards joining your lot. its the flexibility that i like which most other clubs dont have as they all ride either saturday morning or sunday morning. pheonix seems to be completely organised via the forum essentially on a whim. with also regular rides as well but again organised on the forum.

eg "im going out tonight, 6.30 from 'insert location' who wants in?"

I have to say ive only knowingly met one LP rider and he was on his way to a club ride and invited me along, i was doing hill repeats otherwise i would have. Ive met quite a few FP riders and they always seem friendly.

I was set on FP but this new adhoc way which suits me a lot better is drawing me in.

Whats the track scene like as this is where i probably want to end up?
  • Rich158
    Hi spasypady, that's what drew me in the forum based approach is fantastic. I know I can post up the day before I'm planning to ride and generally there's someone about. We do have more north London members so it does work better up there, there's not many of us from darn sarf!

The track scene is pretty good, with various track day's against Dulwich Paragon at Herne Hill. The track scene is something that's just starting to grow, but I suspect it'll get bigger as more of us who need a bit of sprint training decide to join in.

If you want to meet a few more we can always be found at Crystal Palace or Hillingdon on a Tuesday, or Hoggs Hill on Thursdays. Come along and say hi, or give one of the Saturday/Sunday rides a go.

Alternatively there's a talk on training at LMNH on 12th July, you might have to register but Phoenix will be there in force.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • spasypaddy
    again im so far north which is also whats drawing me in!

I might just go out on thursday night with some of the north london lot and see how i get on. i just havent club ridden in a long time so im worried about the pace (can do 50+miles on my own at a decent pace).

oh i saw that lmnh thing on the website, may pop it into the diary!
  • Rich158
    Might see you at LMNH then. Give the Thursday ride a go, the pace shouldn't be too hot, if you can do 50 miles at a decent pace you'll be fine. As for riding in a group, it'll soon come back :lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • spasypaddy
    yeah ive booked a ticket for the talk. seems interesting and could be quite valuable to me in my winter endeavours to drop weight!
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Hi Dan,

Saw a very big group of LP riders out towards Redbourn yesterday. They have always seemed a friendly bunch and the size of the club means you should always be able to hook up with someone informally which is great. This is not something I can do with Whitewebbs CC! :lol::lol:
    Still breathing.....
  • spasypaddy
    hi Ham! You well?

Whitewebbs doesnt really exist anymore otherwise i would have come back! I see the names on the finish lists and see that everyone is riding with Finchley who i am loathe to join as they've only ever been rude to me on the road and when ive asked them about their club. Im sure they would be welcoming if i actually joined them but its been a little off putting that they ride around and havent been friendly to me.

I wouldnt feel comfortable pulling on their jersey with a certain sponsor on it either.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Yeah most defected to Finchley! 3 of us still go out every Saturday and Sunday but we like silly start times (5.30am this Sunday for 90 miles of Chilterns).

No good trying with Finchley as they are only taking Elite riders at the moment and have also said that no non-club members are allowed to ride with them and will be asked to leave if they tag along. :D
    Still breathing.....
  • spasypaddy
    exactly not the all encompassing cycle club you and me need :P and proves my point on what i think of them.

5.30 am??? theres a 5.30AM!?

its a shame whitewebbs has all but gone because it was a good club.