edinburgh nocturne;downing abused?

steviedonut
steviedonut Posts: 69
edited July 2010 in Pro race
apologies if this is discussed elsewhere.
i was at the edinburgh nocturne on saturday night and i just went on to the website to check the final standings(i was nowhere near the finish line) where i read a twitter from someone saying russell downing was abused by anti-sky fans.anyone know anymore about this?
I must make a confession however;i was standing halfway up the wynd(the uphill section) outside the bow bells pub and ,when downing came past for the very first time while warming up,i shouted "cheat!".i must emphasise,however,that this was lighthearted because he rode past as competitors in the folding bike race were going through all sorts of hell struggling uphill over the cobbles as he flew past them on his awesome pinarrello steed.
I hope this was the abuse mentioned on the twitter because although im not a huge fan of Sky,i love russell downing as a rider.If so,apologies to anyone who misinterpreted my half-pished shout and to RD in particular,in retrospect it was possibly not the best thing to shout at a cycle race.

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Shame poor him.. What a joke.. Some riders need to MTFU

And when you say abused.. you mean they shouted + booed him? Hardly abuse is it?

pff.. people nowdays eh?
    cartoon.jpg
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited July 2010
    I can't say I heard anything negative being shouted.

Maybe I was in the wrong spot (down by the bars or 3/4 up the hill).

Or maybe not everything on t'internet is true :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I didn't hear anything like that as I walked around the course during the elite race (which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen). It'd be interesting to hear what the abuse was - if it's just some reference to Sky, who's to say it wasn't just some pished-up non-cycling stag-do types who just wanted to shout abuse and found that "Sky" was the only word on the cyclists' jerseys they could read/understand...

Great event again, though. That is one tough course.