Help!! Pins and needles

DCowling
DCowling Posts: 769
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All

I have only ben riding a few weeks and am currently building up my stamina, I went out this weekend and managed to do 35 miles on a full suspension bike, I really had a great time But...... after about an houe in the saddle I started to develop ins and needles in my toes, and as time wore on I needed to rest more and more frequently to relieve the sensation ( although standing in the peddles seemed to help).
I have moved the saddle both back and forward and this seems to make no difference.
Could anybody give me some pointers please as I enjoy the bikling way too much for this to spoil it

Many Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    DCowling wrote:
    Hi All

I have only ben riding a few weeks and am currently building up my stamina, I went out this weekend and managed to do 35 miles on a full suspension bike, I really had a great time But...... after about an houe in the saddle I started to develop ins and needles in my toes, and as time wore on I needed to rest more and more frequently to relieve the sensation ( although standing in the peddles seemed to help).
    I have moved the saddle both back and forward and this seems to make no difference.
    Could anybody give me some pointers please as I enjoy the bikling way too much for this to spoil it

Many Thanks in advance

Dave

What sort of pedals do you have? Are they platform pedals, ones with toeclips, or SPD type things?

I know this sounds obvious but are your shoes done up too tight?

Try and give your toes a wiggle every now and then while you are cycling...
  • DCowling
    Western Way
    Thanks for the reply

Pedals are standard flat, dont think my shoes are the problem, I have just changed them as had the same problem ( although not as severe) with my previous pair, also the second i get off my bike, stand up etc it seems to alleviate the problem,
    I do wiggle me toes and it helps a little but only temporarily.

is it possible the seat is too high / low

Cheers
    Dave
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    as the poster above notes, are your shoes too tight?
  • DCowling
    I will try slackening shoes off next time, but they are no tighter than I would normally have them if i was walking round
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    DCowling wrote:
    Western Way
    Thanks for the reply

is it possible the seat is too high / low

Cheers
    Dave

I guess that the seat being too low could conceivably cause it... Most seats are too low so that might be worth a go.

I think that the issue tends to be that your feet don't get a whole lot of movement when you are pedalling, and once the pins and needles starts to set in, it can be hard to shift. I am going to go with

1. Try loosening your laces a bit
    2. Raise your saddle to a level where you think it might be a bit too high, and then ride it. Lower it if it really is too high, otherwise leave it :-)
    3. Do disciplined toe wiggling before you get pins and needles.