Thanks for the ratios now a colour question.

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok i am putting together this fixed pub/commuter bike.

settled on a 42:16 ratio, just need to get the rear axle made up and then get the wheels built, but it is the paint that is causing me issues now.

img0769q.jpg

yes the brake is on the front right leg and yes the hose is hidden in the bars/stem/fork.

It will NOT have the rack but will have front and rear fenders.

I was going to go for black but that shows up all the issues.

and trying to make this look pretty

img0767u.jpg

so thoughts?

yes i am mad.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    boring option - matt black like a cannondale bad boy

medium option - powder coat in one solid colour, any candy colour will do but do rim as well and other bits so that the complete thing looks colour co-ordinated

another medium option - pearlscent white so that colour shifts in different light conditions

top option - totally strip and polish it until it looks like chrome / mirror, black decals followed by many layers to protect the finish.
  • nicklouse
    the "raw" option has been considered, there will be no decals on this and I already have a raw bike that will be hard to match.

Matt paint looks crap if it get dirty and does not clean up well-

gloss black shows all the errors.......

no power as there is no one close in this country... :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    White, hi vis innit.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    Matt Olive Green?

I used to see a Giant SS on my way to work and always admired the colour scheme. Nice looking build too,

EDIT: This bike: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bik ... 729/28462/

Bowery_Green.jpg

Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I looked around at cars when deciding what colour to do the MTB, opted for a mid meatlic purple from Ford, I had also considered the old Rover nightfire red or BRG with Mica (not metalic.

Few bike frames are don in a metallic and if they are they really stand out!

Any detail on how the top of the brake hose exits the Steerer Nick?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse

it does not. into the stem then into the bar.
  • nicklouse
    maybe white.

it has black rims coming and will have Schwalbe Kojak tyres. mmmm
  • nicklouse
    actually what about a grey?

grey_box.gif

or the middle one on the right?

310px-Grays.svg.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Re: that first picture you posted - tell me that's not your 'shed' :shock: I have shed-envy.

Is there really no one who can powder coat? It's a pretty standard process for 'painting' all kinds of metalwork, so if you know any sort of metal fabricator (motor or construction industry maybe?) then they might know someone who knows someone. I'd go for white myself, but it's a bit shoty for a pub bike, so maybe grey is better.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nicklouse
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    No, I think shed would be doing it a great disservice. I had a feeling it might be your workplace. Still rather envious of all those neat drawers for tools though. I have an assortment of cardboard boxes :( .
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nicklouse
    :oops: not my workplace. :oops: but i have a key and help out, it is also closer than my garage. :wink:
  • The Rookie
    nicklouse wrote:

it does not. into the stem then into the bar.

OK thanks, thought you may have routed it from fork into steerer and thence to the lever somehow! (from fork to steerer to stem to bars would have been neat!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    from fork to steerer to stem to bars would have been neat!
    yep that is how it is, caliper into fork leg -crown-steerer-stem-bar and out to lever.
  • The Rookie
    Oh OK, got you........

Presumably you either have a through bolt on the steerer or come out below the SFN?

Loving the drilled for lighness chainwheel by the way.

Simon
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    nicklouse wrote:
    actually what about a grey?

or the middle one on the right?

310px-Grays.svg.png

I like the middle on the left, in a matt/powder finish :)

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • nicklouse
    Oh OK, got you........

Presumably you either have a through bolt on the steerer or come out below the SFN?

Loving the drilled for lighness chainwheel by the way.

Simon

nope :wink:

a light weight head lock.so sealed (closed) both ends with an alloy rod with bolts in it at each end.

IMG_0943.JPG
  • nicklouse
    tyres and rims have been ordered.

and have been told that there are a few Powder coaters around here.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Gunmetal grey - powder finish
  • nicklouse
    well went for a lighter gery than i thought, still in the can so no pics. Also the rims have not arrived yet, but the bit for modding the hub have.

img0783b.jpg
    img0782h.jpg
    img0779ml.jpg

just need to check the chainline but it should be just about right but i have rotor spacers to tweek if needed.

if you wish to see more and follow it further.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12711783
  • nicklouse
    img0792y.jpg

still needs more paint.
  • The Rookie
    Looking good!

As an aside a friend who has a Zaskar is building a bike for his girlfriend, she wanted something very like his zaskar, so he's started with an avalanche frame and has now got it polished within an inch of its life, so well polished that you can't even see where he cut off the rear V-brake bosses, not sure how durable it will be, but it sure looks great like that!

Simon
  • nicklouse
    img0817r.jpg

wheels should be built tomorrow.