Wearing pads

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
When would you normally wear knee & elbow pads?
I would be in a lot less pain right now if I had been wearing some yesterday but would you normally wear them for trail riding?

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Knee pads, all the time, yes, even on a green. I wouldn't be doing that on its own usually though anyway.

Arm pads, most of the time on anything harder than a blue
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Knee pads all the time for me too, it's no bother to wear them after all, they're just a little warmer than going without but there's no restriction or discomfort or anything if done right. It's very easy to hurt a knee, all it takes is a careless bash off the stem or shifters and you can be hurpling for days, so I figure why risk a spoiled ride? Never mind more serious injury.

Elbow pads I usually wear anywhere there's speed or big rocks. Or nettles :lol: But I'm a delicate flower so I do tend to pad up more than most people. The bottom line though is to wear what you're comfortable with, just as much or as little. You do take more of a heat burden with arm pads though as arms are such good "radiators", you'll feel them more than knees.

I know a guy who wears full DH armour all the time, even for XC racing, he gets mocked but he doesn't seem to mind all the heat. I couldn't do that, but it works for him. Other people think I'm mad for the knee pads. All just personal taste. But it's a subject that sets people off so don't take my word for it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When would you normally wear knee & elbow pads?
    I would be in a lot less pain right now if I had been wearing some yesterday but would you normally wear them for trail riding?
    Normally when riding. Although I have worn kneepads whilst decorating once, worked a treat whilst sandpapering the skirting board.
    I also wear them whilst raiding embassies, or "offing" forein dignitaries.
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    wear them every time I am out on the trails.. it's better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them... :wink::wink:
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I wear knee pads most of the time on the trails. Got some raceface Dig knee pads when I first got into mtbing last year and can honestly say they're great. Don't notice you're wearing them after about 5 minutes and I'd rather have warm knees than broken ones :D
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Being a relative noob to mtbing I wish I'd thought about pads earlier!! Went on my first proper ride (most serious before that was around Macclesfield Forest) in the Peaks yesterday - tried to do the Ladybower loop from mtb magazine.
    Went right over the handlebars on the rocky descent down to the reservoir from Hope Cross - front wheel jammed solid against a rock and I somersaulted over the front, landing on my back. Somehow wacked my right knee and it's now twice the size of the left.
    Knee & elbow pads are on the shopping list this week - anyone recommend any decent ones?
  • Anonymous
    I'm another one of those wear them for any off roading types. I'm kind of paranoid about my knee since I dislocated it and spent months (well, nearly a year) trying to get the strength back.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Yes, I think "Once bitten, twice shy" springs to mind.

Looking at some sixsixone knee & elbow pads right now - was worried about looking like Robocop or "All the gear but no idea" but stuff that, better off without any bruises or broken bones.
  • Northwind
    I'm kind of paranoid about my knee since I dislocated it and spent months (well, nearly a year) trying to get the strength back.

Doesn't sound like paranoia to me, sounds like logic.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Well, an impact isn;t likely to dislocate it I guess, but I'm just paranoid of another knee injury at all now.
  • Northwind
    edited July 2010
    Well, doesn't need to be the same injury, if there's any damage or weakness left and then you add another injury it's going to be more trouble than it would be for a totally fit limb. None of my leg injuries are going to recur due to cycling except maybe rebreaking the hip, but the other damage in the knee but it means I'm less likely to get through another big injury with a working leg.

Plus o'course once you've lived with injury for a while you get a better sense of what it is you're actually trying to prevent.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    aye, true. I guess I'm a risk taker, but I try to limit the side effects :lol:
  • Northwind
    Risk aware but not risk averse as they say ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I never seem to fall while wearing my pads. Its only when I think its too hot or theres no rocks I dont need to bother that I end up break dancing in the nettles
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I wear pads every time I might fall off, so that's every time I ride then :roll: Usually knees and elbows, but any techy stuff or sessioning I put the coresaver and shorts on, have been glad I did at least one time I have landed on a rock with my back and just got up and dusted myself down without feeling it. :o
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Bluemoon39
    Bluemoon39 Posts: 168
    661 Kyle Strait Knee pads every ride.
    Came off twice yesterday and was glad I had them on. They didn't stop my shoulder hitting the rocks though...
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • Bluemoon39 wrote:
    661 Kyle Strait Knee pads every ride.
    +1. They also stop some of the nettle stings, which is a bit of a bonus.
  • BlueAdvocate
    BlueAdvocate Posts: 266
    Foxhead knee pads for me, still didn't stop me scraping my shin as I went over the bars at Lee Quarry on Saturday. Fortunately my mate was too far ahead to know and there was no one behind to see; result.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Never. Got some knee/shins for DH but barely ever use them, i'll probably regret it one day :lol: