Gears

MattHybrid
MattHybrid Posts: 27
edited July 2010 in The workshop
Hi,

I'm currently riding a Revolution Courier Race which has a standard Suntour 44t 175mm chainset, mixed with a 11-32t, 8sp cassette.

I'm currently getting into the idea of cycle touring, and I've recently purchased a Burley Bee child trailer for towing around. I attempted a 17% gradient yesterday morning and needless to say it was hard going on the legs! I had to get off and walk half of it. The question is whether it is possible to add a few gears to the chainset so that I don't have to buy a new bike? I know very little about bikes, would the front mech just clamp onto the downtube?

Even without a trailer I find I have no use for the top gears, and I generally only use gears 1-6. I occasionally use the top gears but I don't need to be doing 30mph downhill. Would simply changing the chainset ring for something smaller work? How would I know what is compatible?

Whatever I do it needs to be cheap. I'd love to just buy a Revolution Country Traveller but I haven't got £500 spare at the moment!

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A mech should fit fine, but you need to check whether the frame has cable routing for it. Plus of course you will need a new LH shifter, compatible rings - maybe even a new chainset.
  • MattHybrid
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it doesn't have the cable guides so it looks like I'm saving up for a new bike, or rather a new used bike!

Shame really, its been a great bike. I've seen them going for £70-100 on ebay which is a bargain for a solid commuter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An 11-34 cassette would be an easy upgrade, that will lower your first gear an extra 6.25%, and if you don't use the 44/11 very often you could drop to a 42t chainwheel, that would total over a 10% lowering, may still not be enough of course......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MattHybrid
    Thanks for this, but I've decided my best bet would be to splash out on a new bike after all!

My constant pestering seems to have paid off, and work finally annouced a cycle to work scheme last week. Haven't got the details yet, but hopefully I'll be able to get something decent and spread the cost :)

Now I just need to find a bike for the mrs...