Energy drinks/gels - good ones/bad ones?

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A can of coke is about 11g of sugar per 100ml

Standard lucozade is about 17g per 100ml.

Lucozade Sport is 6.4g carbs, of which 3.5g are sugars

This is why lucozade sport does not feel the same as others as it is designed to rehydrate with a small shot of carbs. I use it as an all round sports drink.
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    powerthirst. check it out on youtube. normally just smoothies though or plain old h2o
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Post-ride I have a 'For Goodness Shakes' too, but like I said, I'm old! ;-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Papa Smurf
    Papa Smurf Posts: 776
    Post-ride I have a 'For Goodness Shakes' too, but like I said, I'm old! ;-)

I used to do that, but compared to Rego recovery it's alot of suger, hence the good feeling... Rego has better stuff and more of it... And tastes rather nice..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited July 2010
    TowerRider wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    What exactly do you think the difference is here? Sugary water or sugary sweeties, they both get fast acting carbs into you which gives you extra energy. You probably absorb it slightly faster in soluble form but that's about all the difference there is.

First off you answer it yourself so not sure for the reason of your patronising post. Lucozade sport drink does NOTHING for me while the tablets actually did give me energy PLUS the big difference of weight while out on a ride. It is certainly not clear from your post if you are saying a bottle of lucozade is equal to one tablet or two or maybe the whole pack - please enlighten me!
    Would a can ok coke be ideal?

I don't think you understand, if anything you'd absorb it slightly faster in the soluble form ie the drink/powder not the tablet (which are somewhat soluble but still more solid). Not a big difference, and whatever tiny difference there may be, is if anything an advantage for the drink over the tablets.

I'm not trying to be patronising, just pointing out that sugar is sugar regardless of how you take it in, and it all ends up in the same place and is digested in much the same way. If you dissolve your tablet in water and then drink it, it'll do the exact same thing as if you eat it.

I didn't make any comment on quantity but here you go... Each tablet contains 3g of carbs. 42g of carbs per pack. 2 litres of lucozade Sport has slightly more carbs in it as 3 packs of the tablets.

Can of coke wouldn't be ideal as it's fizzy of course but some people do like flat coke as an energy drink. Sugar and water again. Not isotonic of course.

As for "big weight difference", sure, if you carry your sports drink as well as all the water you'd otherwise carry there's a big weight difference. But why do that, it's daft. The weight difference between 2 litres of water and 2 litres of lucozade is small, not weighed it ;) but you add up to 39g of Body Fuel per half litre of water which is pretty much the same thing. So let's say at most 160g. But that has as much carbs in as 3 packs of your tablets which weigh how much? At least 126g, we know that, possibly a little more depending on what else is in the mix. So all in all weight is an irrelevance.

Nothing wrong with the placebo effect like, don't undervalue it but that's what you're getting. Your body can't distinguish between sugar in solution and sugar in tablet form but your head does.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    Water, keeps yer insides wet. Which is good.

Jelly Babies, give you a boost when the going gets tough (my idea of tough is pretty damn tame mind you). And they're made from horses. Bloody horses.

Tried all that recovery drink stuff and the best thing to get you sorted after a ride is a nice cold pint of semi-skimmed milk.
    Happy trails.
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    Spugnut wrote:
    ... And they're made from horses. Bloody horses.
    Jelly babies made from horses? Nay! Hoof you got that idea from? You've been saddled with a tack idea there. :roll:
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Spugnut wrote:
    the best thing to get you sorted after a ride is a nice cold pint of semi-skimmed milk.

It lacks chocolate :cry:
    Uncompromising extremist