Should We Forgoe next year tour in Respect of Lance ?

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited July 2010 in Pro race
This will be the great mans last tour tour - I reckon as a mark of respect we shouldn't have a TDF next year - an empty year on the calendar a fitting tribute to all he has acheived for cycling ?

What do you think ? - I know that 1 man is not bigger than cycling or the tour - but lets be honest Lance comes pretty close.

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If a single person took the bait this would be the BR forum wind up of the decade.
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    Honestly, I think the tour should just end forever now that he's retiring.

What's the point in it continuing?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    samiam wrote:
    Honestly, I think the tour should just end forever now that he's retiring.

What's the point in it continuing?

I feel the same myself - but feel a 1 year gap would make the point
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I voted yes. Instead of not having a tour though we should have a re-run of all his stage wins inviting past riders back to make up the peloton.

Go Lance....
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Alternatively, they could still run the race but just award Lance the yellow jersey at the end of every stage until he's dead. Clearly, as spiritual leader of world cycling, he deserves all the yellow jerseys. The race should continue until he dies. At which point it should relocate to Texas.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Copme on, I'm a big Lance fan but you're all taking the p**s now!!!!!
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I think that they should only award 2nd and 3rd place from now, every year lance should be declared the winner and get to stand on the top step of the podium..... Naked.....
    Actually i think Ben Stiller should be awarded 2nd and Robin Williams 3rd and other cyclists should only be allowed to compete for 4th and lower.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    We need have the tour next year so Levi and Big George Hincapie can battle it out for the win.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    the top step of the Podium should remain empty until a rider greater than Lance rides amongst us. When that person emerges then they will be brought before Lance and he will look into their soul to see that they are truly worthy of the top step(Anyone called Contador need not apply)
    M.Rushton
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Viewing figures will be down without him just as they were when he stopped for a few years. It's always a sad time when a sporting legend steps down :cry:
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    edited July 2010
    Surely they should just cancel it forever, and paint all roads in France and surrounding countries black out of respect. Maybe plough them up and level the mountains. Have all bicycles melted down and their mention stricken from the dictionary, and a space mission commissioned to carve a likeness of Mr Armstrong out of the moon so he could look down on us each night as we weep into our pillows.
    Too much?
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I don't believe he's retiring. It's just PR hype. I keep hoping he won't win or we'll never get rid of the b.....r! Of course, the Kid Rock thing MAY prove to be true...........
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Why not put the "Fourth Grand Tour" in its place. I'm talking about the Tour of California that way America can really celebrate what he has done for the sport. :lol::wink:
  • flipp
    flipp Posts: 52
    how about all the competing teams and sponsors making donations towards the Livestrong foundation and perhaps get Lance to ride the final stage of the race and join on the podium to be presented with the cheque.All his fans could also make small donations throughout the tour as as gesture to the great man for all his inspiration he has given over the years? :
  • idkPhil
    idkPhil Posts: 17
    We need have the tour next year so Levi and Big George Hincapie can battle it out for the win.
    this
    and more of Marks sprinting, in my opinion.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I do see some stupid comments on here, often unfortunately.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,561
    I was under the impression that cycling was going to die with the end of LA anyway.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Maybe there will be a monument in paris, after all he has done more for cycling than anyone else on the planet
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    flipp wrote:
    how about all the competing teams and sponsors making donations towards the Livestrong foundation and perhaps get Lance to ride the final stage of the race and join on the podium to be presented with the cheque.All his fans could also make small donations throughout the tour as as gesture to the great man for all his inspiration he has given over the years? :

Why, it's a premier sporting event, not a charity fundraiser. It may sound harsh, but i'm sick of every sporting event being marketed for charity.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    flipp wrote:

Why should European teams and sponsors raise money for an American charity?
  • jaysonski
    jaysonski Posts: 128
    i have just put all my bikes (5) on ebay in protest of this great man retiring.
    even my two girls bicycles (lance & lance junior) have gone
    I will be commissioning a 10ft statue on my garden & in homage to the TDF will be constructed entirely of cheese.
    Sound the bell, the king is dead, long live the king!

p.s. anyone knowing anything about dairy construction techniques please drop me a line.
    p.s.s. this will be my last email, all future communications will be delivered via french mime 'ala marcel marceou

a' revior
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    flipp wrote:

I'm going to donate a pint of blood. Seems more fitting somehow.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I heard that they're going to knock down the L'Arc de Triomphe and replace it with a 50metre high effigy of his 'holiness' in honour of his 'all conquering' exploits - L'Arc de Lance. ASO have already notified that Le Tour de France route will remain at 3 weeks, but the route modified in his honour and will comprise 200 lap criterium each day down the Champs Elysee to La Place de Concorde and back up to the L'Arc de Lance - there will however be no winner of the stage in respect of his 'greatness'. :roll:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Watching today's stage, I vote yes. :oops:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    How about we have a full investigation into UCI accounting in tribute to the man and as a personal memorial to his mate McQuaid?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • kitsunegari
    kitsunegari Posts: 131
    Oops I mis-read the question, no of course it shouldn't be foregone.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    flipp wrote:
    how about all the competing teams and sponsors making donations towards the Livestrong foundation and perhaps PAY Lance to ride the final stage of the race and join on the podium to be presented with the cheque.All his fans could also make small donations throughout the tour as as gesture to the great man for all his inspiration he has given over the years? :
    Fixed that for you.