Tyres & Tips for Devon C2C

Cristian
Cristian Posts: 8
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm cycling from Ilfracombe to Plymouth in a few weeks and looking for some advice on tyres and general tips.

I have a Boardman Performance Hybrid bike and have recently swapped the tyres for Marathon Plus 700c 35's. Whilst these are great for training & puncture protection, I find them a bit heavy.

Thinking of Conti Gatorskin 700c 28's or something with a bit more tread. But not sure if the Gatorskins will be ok for the old railway routes such as the Granite Way.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• You will be fine. The Granite way is very smooth, lots of tarmac. The only really rough section is on the path between Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy; there are alternative routes around the Tavistock area so you can avoid it if you really want --- which is a shame because sitting beside the river Tavy and drinking coffee from a flask is lovely. I did this section in (wet) early April on 700x28 Marathons: it was muddy but perfectly ridable, and, besides it is a very short section and an option is to walk it.

From memory there was a section at the northern end of the Plym trail that was a bit rough but I understand it has been improved/re-routed. I have riden this section with my daughter on a tandem with 25mm tyres! We simply pushed it for 50-odd metres!

People get too hung up about tyres for anything other than tarmac. Just get out there and enjoy it!
  • Cristian
    Cristian Posts: 8
    Thanks Martin.

I was thinking of the alternative route around Mary Tavy, although it would be a shame to pass through the area and not stop there.

I can see your point around tyres as I'm finding myself getting quite hung up on this. The marathon plus tyres I have fitted are really heavy, but I am getting used to them a little more now and beginning to just think about going for it with these.

Never done a trip like this before, so stepping into the unkown, but really looking forward to it.