fork setup

mancjon
mancjon Posts: 53
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Was riding the Timberland trail today, the bit along the quarry if anyone knows it. Anyway only when i got to the end of that bit did i notice that my suspension forks were still locked out.

I have a Trek 8000 hardtail with 2007 Reba's. Can honestly say i really didn't notice any difference when they were locked out which makes me wonder just how much benefit i am getting from the forks. I know the Rebas are good forks and i have setup the air pressure based on the rider weight settings.

Any suggestions on what i should be looking at would be much appreciated.

Jon

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    mancjon wrote:
    Was riding the Timberland trail today, the bit along the quarry if anyone knows it. Anyway only when i got to the end of that bit did i notice that my suspension forks were still locked out.

I have a Trek 8000 hardtail with 2007 Reba's. Can honestly say i really didn't notice any difference when they were locked out which makes me wonder just how much benefit i am getting from the forks. I know the Rebas are good forks and i have setup the air pressure based on the rider weight settings.

Any suggestions on what i should be looking at would be much appreciated.

Jon

So your forks aren't locking out?

Is the lockout lever mounted on the bars or on the top of the fork leg?

If its a bar mounted lever (poploc) you may just need to adjust the cable, if its operated by means of the fork mounted lever then chances are you have a problem with the compression damper and would need to get them serviced.

A full service is around £80.00, speak to tftuned.
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    Something is very wrong if you dont notice fork is locked or not - positive pressure is far too high, negative too low , needs lubing and cleaning.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Does that model have the full motion control with adjustable "lockout"? It could just be set low.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    Is your fork soft if its locked or rigid if its not locked?
  • mancjon
    mancjon Posts: 53
    Apologies for the delay in replying. As luck would have it i came off my bike the next day and fractured my spine so i'm off the bike for at least 2 months :cry:

anyway to clear up confusion. The lockout works fine and when locked out the forks are rigid. When not locked out you can push the forks down but nowhere near to the full travel but i don't know whether i should be able to to or not.

Northwind, when i can get to the shed i will let you know :)

I don't think it's the air pressure + or - because when i had some work done recently i got them to check and adjust if necessary based on my weight and i was there when they did it. To be honest i have never felt that they do that much when out riding, prehaps it's the trails i ride or the way i ride, don't know. I only know they should work well as the Rebas are a good fork.

Any other ideas ?

Jon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know this is for Fox shocks and forks but the imformation applies equally to all suspension systems.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What sag are you getting? You shouldn't be able to bottom them while just pushing on them lol.
  • monkeylizard
    monkeylizard Posts: 155
    I know this is for Fox shocks and forks but the imformation applies equally to all suspension systems.

Thanks for the link. Now I have some idea of how to set it up properly instead of randomly fettling things and making a complete horlicks of it.

:D