Which grips to go for?!! So much choice!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hello :D

Ok, i'm down to the real nitty-gritty on the new bike now! This afternoons dilema is which grips to go for... Any suggestions?

They need to be quite narrow as I have small hands and I don't find the chunky grips comfy, but pretty sturdy rubber as I noticed the other day that I have worn through to the bars on my current bike :shock: Yes - obviously a vice-like grip and I need to relax on the bike! I always wear gloves so being comfy on bare hands isn't an issue. There seem to be so many to choose from, i'm just not sure....

Cheers!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Superstar lock ons are pretty good and cheap, and i think they do a super tacky version, though by what i can tell about you thatll probably wear away too fast :P
  • santacrews
    santacrews Posts: 51
    Well seeing as you asked the question i can tell you what i use !

Race Face Diabolous lock ons !

They are super grippy yet still hard wearing and most importantly they look 8) !
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    lizard skins charger lock on. medium/thin grips, reallycomfy with gloves, not so great without, but it sounds like that isn't an issue for you, and wear very slowly. i've had mine for 6 moths, and can see no signs of wear.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Newer Charge Sponge grips are quite nice. They're very thin, more so than my superstars; and nice and comfy. They're also only 9 quid, win-win :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Another vote for superstar lock ons here.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Cheers guys - keeps the suggestions coming!!! :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I use Lizard Skins Peaty grips, very thin and grippy, last really well.

I have been using a set for the past 7 or 8 months and they still have plenty of wear left and thats with a lot of riding.

I might try the Pro Atherton grips next thpugh since they don't have a collar on the outside of the grip, the way I grip means my hands can get sore because of these
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Superstar grips. They work fine, come in lots of colours and are cheap.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    -Liam- wrote:
    Superstar grips. They work fine, come in lots of colours and are cheap.
    And i believe they're the same ones exactly including the machine that moulds them, as most other grips except ODI.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    ODI Ruffians or ESI Racers Edge if you prefer a grip without collars.

Neither are the cheapest option but suite smaller hands.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    ODI Yetis!

had them on every bike, comfy, grippy, look good, hard wearing

DSCF4784.jpg[/i]
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    Race Face Good & Evil here
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • superstar. Cheap, perform great, look great.

If you need any more than that then i'd love to know what it is!
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    ODI Ruffians

or Rogues for all dayers.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah i have some lizard skins peaty grips, they're thin, look cool, nice and grippy and are pretty hard wearing.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • tony620
    tony620 Posts: 194
    lizard skin peaty vote here too. :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've recently put Raceface Strafe (bling red ones), but they are very chunky.

I've got quite small hands (for a bloke) and any smaller and they'd be to big, so probably no good for you.

I had the original Strange Lock-on ones fitted to my Orange before I swapped them and they are perfect for small hands and very grippy. They lasted me 2 years, so are fine on wear.

If it helps, take a look on Orange's website - http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/components/
    Craig Rogers
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Superstar.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • urbanAir
    urbanAir Posts: 35
    odi troy lee for bling, or gusset tight bastard for bargain long lasting grips 8)
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I use these, mine are red,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SAVAGE-RIBBED ... 1e5bab692d
    I like longer grips for more hand variation, and the ribs don't get so sweaty as they dry out quick.great grip and absorb the vibs well to. Had mine over a year and still going strong. Ps tried those yeties, hated them.
    Don't think, BE:
  • Lizard skins Peaty are really grippy and comfy at the same time.

I'm no Steve Peat fanboy, they just happen to be a great product.

Will probably buy again when the time comes, just wish they did them in black as well.

lizard+skins-lock-on-peaty-grips.jpg
  • peter413
    Lizard skins Peaty are really grippy and comfy at the same time.

I'm no Steve Peat fanboy, they just happen to be a great product.

Will probably buy again when the time comes, just wish they did them in black as well.

lizard+skins-lock-on-peaty-grips.jpg

They do :wink:
  • peter413 wrote:

They do :wink:

I had no idea, only seen white or graphite.

Looking at CRC I can now see they offer black and also some black/gold which sound interesting, anyone know where I can find pics of these other colours?

And for the OP, these grips aren't as grippy as some, but they are nice and slim and good for the price.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... rips-31261
  • Like those black & gold, will go nicely with gold floating rotors on some Hope tech brakes.

<<<<<<<<<<<Becoming a bike tart. :lol:
  • peter413
    <<<<<<<<<<<Becoming a bike tart. :lol:

Aren't we all :lol:
  • Rosco454
    Rosco454 Posts: 17
    I have superstar lock ons,they were on my bike when I bought it second hand but found them to be pretty good so bought another set.For £8 delivered you cant really go wrong.

Cheers Ross.