Weight Reductions

Alienman
Alienman Posts: 91
edited July 2010 in MTB general
I am looking at shedding a little weight from my ride, but am not sure where to start. What are the easiest places to lose some extra pounds on a bike?

I have my eye on a good deal on a carbon seat post right which should be lighter than my current seat post.
'09 Rocky Mountain Fusion

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what you have to start with. Can you list your spec and budget?

Generally tyres and tubes are great cost effective upgrades.
  • Alienman
    Here's my spec list:

Frame: 2009 Rocky Mountain Fusion
    Fork: Marzocchi 22R
    Head Set: FSA no TH-888
    Stem: Alloy 31.8mm x 20° 120mm
    Handlebar: XC Alloy 30mm rise, 630mm
    Brakes: Shimano BRM486 hydraulic disc
    Brake Levers: Shimano BRM486
    Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire 9spd
    Cranks & Chainrings: Truvativ Isoflow 170-175mm 42/32/22T
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN26
    Pedals: VP-559 Flat w/pins
    Hubs: (FR) Wheeltech Disc super sealed W/alloy QR - Hubs (RR) Wheeltech Disc super sealed W/alloy QR
    Cassette: Shimano HG-50-9 11-32T
    Chain: Shimano HG53
    Spokes: DT Champion
    Rims: WTB SX24 alloy dbl wall disc 26
    Tires: (RR/FR) WTB Moto Raptor 26 X 2.1 A.V.
    Seat Post: Alloy 27.2mm
    Saddle: WTB Speed V COMP

And budget wise... not much. Have to pay for school so I am just looking for good deals on parts.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think a carbon seatpost will save much weight for cost.

Try some kevlar beaded tyres like Conti Speedking protection, and some lighter tubes.

After that the fork - it weighs over 5lbs.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Nothing there is very light, I'd say you could make better savings for less than the price of a carbon post, many of which aren't that light anyway.

Tyres and tubes as above would be the obvious first choice, foam grips are very cheap and save a chunk, particularly if you've got lock-ons. An XT cassette would save a load, Deore HT2 chainset, really you could save weight off everything.
  • Alienman
    Upgrading the fork is kind of out of the question right now, a little more than I want to spend.

But do you have any recommendations tire wise? What's a good set that gives you nice bang for you buck.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Speed Kings are a good choice. It's a personal choice really, Specialized Sauserwind S-Works aren't bad, Schwalbe Rocket Rons are good, but the Performance version isn't all that light, and they're not cheap.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    First purchase should be a set of scales from Ikea :lol: You can't properly save weight unless you know what it weighs now, some OEM parts can be randomly heavy (I have a 470g Bontrager seatpost in the garage, and some 400 gram tubes out of a carrera) but others randomly light (160g stem off that same carrera)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Alienman
    So the scale in the bathroom can't just be used for that?

I have just been googling the stuff and hoping that the manufacturer lists the weight on the site. The current set of tires are around 720g while one I have found at a nice clearance price is about 560g. Now to either order the stuff online or go see what one of the localish bike shops has.
  • Zaskar96
    Zaskar96 Posts: 174
    njee20 wrote:
    Speed Kings are a good choice. It's a personal choice really, Specialized Sauserwind S-Works aren't bad, Schwalbe Rocket Rons are good, but the Performance version isn't all that light, and they're not cheap.

Performance version Rocket Rons are actualy quite light. I've a 2.1 that weighs 466g and a 2.25 that weighs 524g. You can also pick them up for less than £25 if you shop around.