Steel is Real

SkidMerckx
SkidMerckx Posts: 72
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Some of you may have seen the photos of the fixed gear conversion of my late 70’s 531 frame that I recently posted. Well today was my first commute on my old new baby and it was great! The fixed wheel will take a little getting used to (but I had no real issues) and using traditional toe clips is an art that I have long since forgotten, but the real surprise was the frame! Now this is not a particularly expensive frame, but compared to my normal stead (a Focus Merzula oversized aluminium triple touring bike) the steel bike is LUSH! Previously I had been very sceptical about the old school’s veneration of this out of date medium (Sic). However, whilst I know it’s only been one ride, I think I have already been converted - Steels Real guys! Anyone know where I can buy a pipe and some long Jacquard socks?

TrackBike003.jpg

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I wouldn't disagree! I have an 80s Raleigh Record 501 frame that feels much nicer than any of the modern aluminium frames I have.

Lovely looking machine by the way!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Funny that you've mentioned this, I have an Alu Giant Defy 2 (09) which I have been riding all the time for the last 18 months or so since I got back on a bike.

I recently got my 80's Peugeot Grand Prix (501 frame) out of the shed and have been riding this quite a bit over the last few days and it feels great although it needs a bit of TLC - more comfortable than the Defy by a mile.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    You knows it!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    531c DB FTW!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Pipe and socks can both be bought in Jermyn St.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    SkidMerckx wrote:
    Some of you may have seen the photos of the fixed gear conversion of my late 70’s 531 frame that I recently posted. Well today was my first commute on my old new baby and it was great! The fixed wheel will take a little getting used to (but I had no real issues) and using traditional toe clips is an art that I have long since forgotten, but the real surprise was the frame! Now this is not a particularly expensive frame, but compared to my normal stead (a Focus Merzula oversized aluminium triple touring bike) the steel bike is GERT LUSH! Previously I had been very sceptical about the old school’s veneration of this out of date medium (Sic). However, whilst I know it’s only been one ride, I think I have already been converted - Steels Real guys! Anyone know where I can buy a pipe and some long Jacquard socks?

Fixed that for you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I love my steel framed Genesis - so much so that I've now bought a Reynolds framed GT 29'r - couldn't believe the difference when I swapped from my old ali Giant
  • ny152
    ny152 Posts: 2
    I've just moved from a Mongoose Hybrid and Trek District to a Ridgeback World Voyage and Kona Smoke. Both frames feel great, very solid and far comfier than my previous rides.