XTR Crankset on 2010 Epic

road_donut
road_donut Posts: 284
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hope you guys can advise

I have a 2010 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon and just got some XTR M970 Cranks that have come with a bottom bracket.

I have been told that the Epic has a press fit bottom bracket as standard and the one that has come with the crankset is a different type? :?

My question is can i use the Bottom Bracket that has come with my cranks or do i have to buy a new press fit bb ?

Cheers

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll have to use adapter cups from Specialized, they're BB91 adapters IIRC.
  • road_donut
    Thanks njee20

Is this somthing supplied by Specialized or can i buy from CRC etc ?

Cheers
  • njee20
    It's basically unique to Spesh, I don't even think Madison do it, so you'll have to get it through your local Spesh dealer.
  • road_donut
    Thanks again njee20 :D

I've just e-mailed my local Specialized dealer .... hope they can get me one

Cheers
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    road_donut wrote:
    My question is can i use the Bottom Bracket that has come with my cranks or do i have to buy a new press fit bb ?

You should already have all the parts you need.

The carbon Epics use a BB91-42A type b/b.

You would discard the included XTR bb and assuming your bb bearings are in good order and you wish to re-use them,
    install the XTR crank as you would in a normal external bb remembering to install the 2.5mm spacer and rubber/metal o ring
    (items 9 & 10 shown in THIS) on the drive side of the crank.
    Items 9 & 10 should be on the crank the you remove from your bike.
  • road_donut
    Hi *AL*

I popped up to my LBS yesterday afternoon and they did exactly what you suggested :D

Cheers for the advice guys :)
  • njee20
    Ah yes, for some reason I was assuming you didn't already have a BB, which was a wild, and clearly inaccurate assumption!
  • road_donut
    No worries njee20

All the advice i get from you guys helps me out :D

Cheers
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    road_donut wrote:
    Hi *AL*

I popped up to my LBS yesterday afternoon and they did exactly what you suggested :D

Cheers for the advice guys :)

My pleasure bud.

Had a similar problem myself when I fitted my XTR cranks, I eventually found some info on an American site.