Cycle Supehighway 7: Increased Police activity

mtb-idle
mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
For those of you commuting from Colliers Wood/Tooting/Balham/Clapham along CS7 be aware that there is an increase in activity from the police along that stretch.

It doesn't worry me personally as I stop at red lights but I have seen someone stopped every day this week along that stretch by a motorcycle cop culminating in two stops this morning and £30 Fixed Penalty notices issued each time.

I don't mind the extra attention, i just hope that they are watching the cars at the same time.

I spoke to one of the guys who got an FPN. He was staring in amazement as the cop who had just fined him for RLJ'ing then proceeded to RLJ himself (the cop that is) round that big roundabout on New Kent Road heading to Bermondsey...
FCN = 4

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    'Sdifferent for them though innit. So long as the FPNs are dished out evenly, I've no problem with a bit of extra attention - might make everyone behave a bit better. Also, did you notice all the extra grit all over the road through Balham and Clapham? I think it must be like those sand pictures you did when you were at infant school - glue/blue grit/brush off excess/leave excess in gutter.

EDIT: BTW, you don't wear a black Spesh lid and usually a white t-shirt by any chance? I keep seeing someone on an MTB of that description, usually coming through Tooting, and staying on CS7 up to Stockwell at least. Often seen chatting to an older London Dynamo roadie.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the blue strip on cable street (which is raised) already has some massive car tyre tracks on it :roll:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Where abouts are you seeing them? i commute along it a fair distance. So far i have only seen one motorbike copper and he pulled a car for some reason i don't know.

On tuesday i'm talking to TFL about the super highways, and i have the possibility to cycle the route with a few people in charge of it. i'll see if i can find out if they know any plans for policing.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Gaz,

Usually lurking at the main set of lights AFTER Tooting Bec lights heading towards London. Was there this am and then same bloke just before E&C roundabout

RJSTerry, not me. Am usually on my bianchi road bike but issues with that at moment so have been on my pearlescent orange dialled bikes prince albert with 2.35 inch knobblies on and getting passed by everyone :-/.

I do tend to chat to lots of different people plus a few regulars, Alwyn, bloke on the Cliff summat singlespeed, michael on the singlespeed, some old bloke who goes same way as me etc.

I even had the honour of saying 'you alright mate' to DonDD once altho I was in a right state myself that day...
    FCN = 4
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    I'll keep an eye out. We really do need an SCR spotters guide.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'll keep an eye out. We really do need an SCR spotters guide.

Maybe if we all have some sort of identifying each other, like a Herman Safety Wing
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How about skinny jeans, really narrow handlebars and cards on our spokes?

Oh, its been done.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How about skinny jeans, really narrow handlebars and cards on our spokes?

Oh, its been done.

Spokey dokeys are the way to go.....

http://www.nailseacycles.co.uk/spokey-dokeys-5583-p.asp