Snapped spoke, buckled wheel, argh!

nich
nich Posts: 888
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Not sure how it happened, but on the way home noticed my rear wheel was rubbing against the brake. Turns it it is totally buckled, so I had to undo the brake and ride home with just the front argh.

Anyway, got home, and on further inspection noticed that one of the spokes was loose, and it had snapped off at the hub - must have had a clunk or something, but it seemed fine this morning.

Is this something that a bike shop can fix? Or is it worth getting a new rim? Tis rather annoying, luckily I have a slicked up mtb as a backup 8)

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    A single broken spoke is a pretty easy fix. In fact you could probably true the wheel with the remaining spokes and ride it for weeks without issue (not that i would recommend it)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • nich
    Hmm I'll give it a go. I'm not that clued up on wheels :D
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    nich wrote:
    Hmm I'll give it a go. I'm not that clued up on wheels :D

I'm hoping you mean have a go at replacing the spoke, not riding without.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • nich
    Yes replacing it. I'm heavy and need all the spokes I can get :)
  • If its on the cassette side you will need a cassette removal tool. In any case unscrew the broken spoke from the rim end and take it to LBS, they should have exactly the right length, thread the new one through the hub hole, taking note of the way the other spokes are threaded and screw it back into the rim (you'll have to flex it a bit). Tighten it up, it may true the wheel back in by itself.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I'd let the experts do it if you are new to wheel building. You have to get the right sized spoke and then make sure there is even tension throughout the wheel. This can be quite hard to do correctly.

Also if one broke then the others may also be damaged, make sure you check them all and replace any that don't look 100%. Otherwise you will just keep braking and replacing them one by one.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    jairaj wrote:
    I'd let the experts do it if you are new to wheel building. You have to get the right sized spoke and then make sure there is even tension throughout the wheel. This can be quite hard to do correctly.

Also if one broke then the others may also be damaged, make sure you check them all and replace any that don't look 100%. Otherwise you will just keep braking and replacing them one by one.

+1 I had a recurring broken spoke problem due to each break over-stressing the surrounding spokes, and I'm only 10st. The spokes always broke a few miles from home or work of course so had to ride on the broken wheel, which just makes it worse. Eventually ditched the wheels as it was becoming a fortnightly visit to the bike shop.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    rjsterry wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

+1 I had a recurring broken spoke problem due to each break over-stressing the surrounding spokes, and I'm only 10st. The spokes always broke a few miles from home or work of course so had to ride on the broken wheel, which just makes it worse. Eventually ditched the wheels as it was becoming a fortnightly visit to the bike shop.

I've not found this to be a problem on 36-spoke wheels (I'm 85Kg).

Low spoke-counts may not be the best choice for a commuting bike, where reliability is more important than saving grammes.

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    jairaj wrote:

I've not found this to be a problem on 36-spoke wheels (I'm 85Kg).

Low spoke-counts may not be the best choice for a commuting bike, where reliability is more important than saving grammes.

Cheers,
    W.

Oddly enough the breakages were on a 32- or 36-spoke wheel (can't remember which), but I have been on 16-spoke front and 20-spoke rear for a few years now, with (touch wood) no broken spokes. I've always thought that having a right angle bend in the spoke where it meets the hub was a bit dodgy (that's where all my breakages were, and mine are all straight pull now), but that is probably nonsense as so many wheels use 'J' spokes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    My LBS do a spoke replacement and true for 6 quid....
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • rjsterry
    fenboy369 wrote:
    My LBS do a spoke replacement and true for 6 quid....

That's good - almost worth posting the wheel to them at that price!
    Pinnacle Monzonite