Who is going to have a howler

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Every year, someone who did well the previous year has a stinker of a Tour the next year. Any thoughts?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited July 2010
    Bradley Wiggins?

Mark Cavendish?

Lance Armstrong?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    I wonder what gave you this idea? :wink:
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:

The most Lance-like person I know, obviously. :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Contador DNF. Just a hunch
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    RichN95 wrote:

thats a hunch i have as well
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Moray Gub wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Me too. But I'm not thinking the cobbles will be a problem.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Me too. But I'm not thinking the cobbles will be a problem.

Just for the record, I don't thinkt anything nefarious will happen, more misfortune of some sort.
  • Cancelarra is wearing No.13......
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

The most Lance-like person I know, obviously. :wink:

I know you'd LIKE Lance to have a stinker but what in his history indicates he will? Last year he was coming back after almost 4 years out of cycling, he was 38 years old and was coming back from a collar-bone fracture only 3 months earlier and he still placed 3rd. Made the podium, Say what you want about how it helped him to have Contador being the one chased, etc. You don't place on a TDF podium if you suck but have some luck. You need both luck and to be one of the best riders in the world.

So seriously, what indicates to you that he's going to stink this year?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    andy shleck
    cartoon.jpg
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    donrhummy wrote:

I know you'd LIKE Lance to have a stinker but what in his history indicates he will? Last year he was coming back after almost 4 years out of cycling, he was 38 years old and was coming back from a collar-bone fracture only 3 months earlier and he still placed 3rd. Made the podium, Say what you want about how it helped him to have Contador being the one chased, etc. You don't place on a TDF podium if you suck but have some luck. You need both luck and to be one of the best riders in the world.

You've grasped the wrong end of the stick with both hands there, in a style that is reminiscent of Dennis at his best. :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Don't you have to go the distance, not crash, to have a howler of a TDF?
    Samu Sanchez to impersonate Iban Mayo..........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    I can't see Wiggins performing but then not many are really expecting him to so not sure if that counts. Hope to be proved wrong.
  • Pross
    I can't see Wiggins performing but then not many are really expecting him to so not sure if that counts. Hope to be proved wrong.
  • Pross
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    donrhummy wrote:
    I know you'd LIKE Lance to have a stinker but what in his history indicates he will?... You don't place on a TDF podium if you suck but have some luck. You need both luck and to be one of the best riders in the world.

It's their opinion. They're entitled to it.

Anyway, I think Wiggins will have a howler. Last year he seemed to be hanging on at times in the mountains, and this year there seems to be a lot more (difficult) climbs and less time trials. So I think Wiggins will suffer.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I can see it being Brad too, but then that's why I spout on here and am not paid to cover cycling
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I can see it being Brad too, but then that's why I spout on here and am not paid to cover cycling

I think it's going to be similar to England in the World Cup. Hyped up and then ultimate failure!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I suspect Klöden is beyond his best and won't figure high up like in the past - 5th or 6 th last year, one year 2nd or 3rd.

In the opposite direction to a howler, who might be a surprise contender? Taaramäe?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    knedlicky wrote:
    I suspect Klöden is beyond his best and won't figure high up like in the past - 5th or 6 th last year, one year 2nd or 3rd.

In the opposite direction to a howler, who might be a surprise contender? Taaramäe?

Klöden is wearing number 24. In Cantonese that translates (roughly) as "easy to die". :shock:

Kreutziger is in 44. That's even worse; "die, always die"....... :D

Tiralongo should go well in lucky number 8; he is Chinese, isn't he?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Mark Cavendish?

It might be stating the obvious, but I think this very much depends on if he win's the first stage. If he doesn't he'll try to hard and make mistakes, whereas if he will relax more and pick up more stages and have a good shot at the point comp.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Wiggins (made plans - never make plans - life has a way of kicking you in the teeth when you least expect it.). Vandervelde. (sorry Christian 'cos you're a nice guy). Karpets.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • RichN95.
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Karpets.

Is anyone expecting anything from him? I'm not.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Can I join the 'gut feeling about Contador' group?
  • RichN95.
    One of the Omega-Lotto DS's will have a howler. Probably Dirk De Wolf.

IGMC
  • Tusher wrote:
    Can I join the 'gut feeling about Contador' group?

Seems to be a common theme. I have reasons, but if my theory is correct i will be very disapointed though. Counldn't have Wiggins, Armstrong ,

Dunno, Had a fun bet on an outsider so he's cursed. Just like the poor Ghanaians, Had a fun punt on them in 2008 for the World Cup.

Will have to wait and see, hope it;s not all over by halfway!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    donrhummy wrote:
    I know you'd LIKE Lance to have a stinker but what in his history indicates he will?... You don't place on a TDF podium if you suck but have some luck. You need both luck and to be one of the best riders in the world.

It's their opinion. They're entitled to it.

Anyway, I think Wiggins will have a howler. Last year he seemed to be hanging on at times in the mountains, and this year there seems to be a lot more (difficult) climbs and less time trials. So I think Wiggins will suffer.

He managed to hang on a lot better than all but 4 or 5 riders. And it was his first ever attempt at a decent GC placing.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Sastre not had the best season so far. Almost no racing except the Giro where he crashed and hurt his back
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    sherer wrote:
    Sastre not had the best season so far. Almost no racing except the Giro where he crashed and hurt his back

sastre pretty much has done nothing since his tour win, and didnt do much last year so cant be considered a failure this time ...

... I think that SKY as a whole wont have a good tour
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    On reflection, I think Armstrong is unlikely to have a 'howler'. As the truth about how he 'won' his Tours is now common knowledge he has been forced into a corner and he will come out fighting. In fact he has already made it clear that he actually thrives in such a situation. He has nothing to lose and will probably do 'anything' necessary to help him win, including pushing the doping envelope as far as he can.