No legs today

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I had a free day today so I thought I'd go for my first ride in Richmond Park.

I left home at 9:00. By 9:02 I knew I was in for a rough ride as I had no strength in my legs and it was pretty windy today. I have no idea why I had no legs, I haven't been for any long rides recently but I have been for a few recovery rides and pootles.

By the time I reached RP (a few wrong turns didn't help matters) I wasn't really up for blasting round so I just took it easy. I can see what all the fuss is about though and I will be back.

The ride home was very slow and I needed a nap when I got in.

Where do good legs go? When will I get my good legs back?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    im sorry...

your going to have to be put down!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Sheer laziness. That's what it was :roll:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Soooo only 40-something miles today eh? So you are mortal after all ;)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    well done EKE_38BPM for keeping going

someone's stolen my legs, or my mojo. I've had no energy in the legs for the last 2 weeks. actually contemplated getting PT to work the other day then slapped myself with a big dose of MTFU for thinking such an idea. even with no energy I'd rather be sitting on my own seat in charge of my own journey. :lol:
  • EKE_38BPM
    I don't mind feeling tired after a ride, I enjoy it , but before a ride?!
    I did about 2 miles on my BSO yesterday and a speedier than a pootle 10 they day before so I can't see a reason to have no legs.

I quite like having a BSO. The lock is probably worth more than the bike and I don't worry about it being nicked when I leave it locked to a lamp-post all day. No amount of deprettifying can give you this amount of peace of mind. It is a reallyshitride though, very short journeys only.

One thing I did learn is that I need to chat to WesternWay and the other Barnet riders to sort out a route to RP for the SCR Summer Gathering. I took a really stupid route and there must be a better way. No amount of MTFU will get me onto the North Circ between Arnos Grove and Hanger Lane, which is a real pity as that would save me lots of time and faffing around.

• EKE_38BPM
    @Cyclopsbiker, I really thought about turning back, but the weather is too good to waste. This is England after all. It may snow at the weekend!
    @Oddjob, even the gods get weary.
    @Cafewanda, for that, I won't stand in a trench!
    @Steady rider, you have to catch me first. Just not today or tomorrow, eh?

• dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    @Cyclopsbiker, I really thought about turning back, but the weather is too good to waste. This is England after all. It may snow at the weekend!
    @Oddjob, even the gods get weary.
    @Cafewanda, for that, I won't stand in a trench!
    @Steady rider, you have to catch me first. Just not today or tomorrow, eh?

Forgive my ignorance but what`s with this Richmond Park then? +1 to the North Circular avoidance though
  • Oddjob62
    Just go straight down through Whetstone to Finchley Road though the West End and Hyde Park, down Fulham Rd and over Putney Bridge.

Or meet me at Swiss Cottage if you want.
  • Oddjob62
    dugliss wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance but what`s with this Richmond Park then? +1 to the North Circular avoidance though

T'is a big park... i shalln't tell you where, for it is a secret.
  • Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    hehe if im ever in your local ill make sure of it ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I get it 2 or 3 times a year,I guess it's more psychological than physical in most cases.

I have a 6 mile commute and on very rare occasions I find myself thinking , 'I can't do this' ,I came close to stopping and lying down on the grass verge on one commute.

If psychologically you really don't won't to ride then physiologically it will be tough.

If the minds not willin' the legs aint givin :P

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    8) :wink: You'd best make it a 3 foot trench.

I really shouldn't say anything cos I took the bus home this evening. Had no energy at all and couldn't face struggling on Babygirl :shock: :(

Fortunately I'm off tomorrow so I'll go pick her up and ride the day away (with various stops for refreshments :wink: ).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,412
    Spent legs this evening myself. Spent on this morning's fun and games on the Embankment that is. Crawled home, and like AndyManc says, really felt like just getting off and having a sit down. :(
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    I was well up for the ride, but my legs just weren't there. Just had to MTFU and do the ride.

Ever noticed that Google maps and streetview just don't do the A41 between West End Lane/Frognal Road and Langland Gardens? Maybe someone did an LiT so that you can't see their collection of bikes? Don't know why Gmaps avoids it like the plague though.

@Cafewanda, B*s! Don't swear at me. I hate those things!

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Finding the evening rides home really tough this week. There doesn't seem to be much of a headwind, but something is slowing me down.