Who did Wiggins see die in a road race?

joe9t8
joe9t8 Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in Pro race
I never knew Wiggins was in a road race where someone died. I read it in an interview today - bit.ly/d3PiUE - Does anyone know who it was? It must’ve been a while ago because they weren’t wearing a helmet? He gives a pretty good interview all round, seeing as though he doesn’t do too much press. I reckon he can win the TDF this time around.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Probably Andrei Kivilev - 2003 Paris-Nice (Wiggins was in that race)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joe9t8
    joe9t8 Posts: 3
    Oh that's a knowledge. I like Wiggins a lot, and was impressed when he made the step up to road, and am hoping he does us Brits proud on French soil (again).
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    joe9t8 wrote:
    I never knew Wiggins was in a road race where someone died. I read it in an interview today - bit.ly/d3PiUE - Does anyone know who it was? It must’ve been a while ago because they weren’t wearing a helmet? He gives a pretty good interview all round, seeing as though he doesn’t do too much press. I reckon he can win the TDF this time around.

The Andrei Kivilev crash is a reason why they started having to wear helmets. There used to be a strange rule in 2004 where you could take them off at the start of the final climb of the day but it caused carnage so they just applied it across the board
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    joe9t8 wrote:

The Andrei Kivilev crash is a reason why they started having to wear helmets. There used to be a strange rule in 2004 where you could take them off at the start of the final climb of the day but it caused carnage so they just applied it across the board

They already had to wear helemets at the time Kivilev crashed. Apparently he had taken off his helmet (to remove a cap) and while he was riding no handed and without a helmet, he got caught up in a crash and went over the bars, landing on his noggin.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    So if he hadn't had a helmet he might still be alive? Crikey.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I'm not sure why they revoked the "fina climb" rule in 2004, apart from it costing manufacturers a mint in helmets dispatched to the side of the road by riders, has anyone ever witnessed a serious head injury from somebody headed uphill?

I'm not a big fan of compulsarary helmets full stop but it's the UCI's sport and they set the rules, and I didn't see many riders complaining at the time.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Were they both on Cofidis at that time too ?
  • wiggins wasnrt riding with cofidis then I dont think
    this bit of the ointerview was b0llox though

"Have you ever suspected a rival or teammate of doping?
    No, nothing like that. I’ve been quite fortunate in that all my teams have been quite stringent in their internal testing."

er Cofidis?
  • RichN95.
    Were they both on Cofidis at that time too ?

No, Wiggins was at FdJ
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    wiggins wasnrt riding with cofidis then I dont think
    this bit of the ointerview was b0llox though

"Have you ever suspected a rival or teammate of doping?
    No, nothing like that. I’ve been quite fortunate in that all my teams have been quite stringent in their internal testing."

er Cofidis?
    No, he joined Cofidis at a time when it had a clean out.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Kléber wrote:
    No, he joined Cofidis at a time when it had a clean out.

Like 2007?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I'm not sure why they revoked the "fina climb" rule in 2004, apart from it costing manufacturers a mint in helmets dispatched to the side of the road by riders, has anyone ever witnessed a serious head injury from somebody headed uphill?

I'm not a big fan of compulsarary helmets full stop but it's the UCI's sport and they set the rules, and I didn't see many riders complaining at the time.

it's easier to tell who is who when they take their helmets off. Always wonder how Harmon tells who is who in the sprints these days.

It was a mess with 200 riders trying to take helmets off at the same time, in the elite groups at the front it was ok but at the back I think it was a nightmare and more dangerous than leaving it on
  • my point exactly HighRoad
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    sherer wrote:

it's easier to tell who is who when they take their helmets off. Always wonder how Harmon tells who is who in the sprints these days.

It was a mess with 200 riders trying to take helmets off at the same time, in the elite groups at the front it was ok but at the back I think it was a nightmare and more dangerous than leaving it on

That was one of the things that puzzled me... If that was the case, why were they all still trying to take it off?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LangerDan wrote:
    joe9t8 wrote:

They already had to wear helemets at the time Kivilev crashed. Apparently he had taken off his helmet (to remove a cap) and while he was riding no handed and without a helmet, he got caught up in a crash and went over the bars, landing on his noggin.

The Kivilev crash did AFAIK precipitate the compulsory use of helmets as we know it today. This is what the UCI said at the time:

From http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features ... 03/kivilev

'In a statement issued yesterday afternoon, the Union Cyclist International has offered its sympathy to Andrei Kivilev's family and team-mates, and suggested that the issue of mandatory helmet use in the pro peloton should be reopened.

The UCI's statement reads:

"Deeply shocked by the death of Kazakh rider Andrei Kivilev in the second stage of Paris-Nice, the International Cycling Union (UCI) would like to extend its sincere condolences to the family of the athlete, whose lives have been devastated by this tragic accident, and also its sympathy to his team and all the participants in the event, on such a sad day for the sport of cycling.

"The UCI would like to note that in 1991 a proposal to make the wearing of helmets obligatory was rejected by a large majority of professional riders [A protest was held during the 1991 Paris-Nice - Ed].

"This rule has in fact been applied in all other cycling disciplines, especially those involving young riders. The aim of this policy was to encourage those same riders to continue to wear their helmets once they became professional. Today, the great majority of professional cyclists do wear helmets.

"For the benefit of those who claim the right to make up their own minds when it comes to their own personal safety, the UCI has always maintained as a permanent reminder an explicit recommendation to wear a helmet, even during training.

"While wearing a helmet can never eliminate all the risks inherent in cycling, the UCI will be taking the initiative in the short term of asking all parties concerned to reconsider this issue."'
  • RichN95.
    LangerDan wrote:

They definitely weren't compulsory. This photo is from Paris-Nice, the day before Kivilev died:

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/?id=2003/mar03/parisnice03/stage1/cyclisme-paris-nice-vire-72
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    My bad
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'