1X9, 1X10 Tell me more!

RobGT
RobGT Posts: 132
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Seen this mentioned a few times now and fancy a dabble. Currently got a single speed which i'm thinking of sticking a cassette on the back.

What sort of crankset do I need? Would the one I have now work, Its a plain 32 tooth with no bash gaurds or guides or anything.

Fill me with knowledge :D

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't see why your current crankset won't work, though you may find you'll want a bigger chain ring, you may not. You'll certainly need a chain retention device though.

Apart from that, slap a cassette, mech, shifter and chain guide on and you're good to go! (in theory)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    Cool, thanks for that. I'll look see what I can dig out of me parts bin!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Look at my bike on SIG, first and last pic.

I use NO chain retention device. DEPENDING how and where you ride, you may well not need if you have the right chain length (ie short), good rear mech spring tension (I am lucky enough to own an old mech that has 2-stage adjustable tension), a rear mech cage that is as short as possible. What would help is a SS ring that is not ramped and usually thicker.

I ride fairly aggressive XC in a fairly smooth area (South Downs), although I do ride the occasional very rocky/rooty single track at 10/10th and I have no chain drop as yet (3 weeks / 200 miles).

I won't go back to multi ring BTW unless I move to the Alps and it has dramatically improved my riding enjoyment.