Saddle sore

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited August 2015 in Commuting chat
Now, I know there was a post from a laydee on here complaining about pain in her "punani" or whatever. I don't f$ck around when it comes to sorting out things with my body so here's a health warning: I'm going to use correct anatomical terms. Look away now if that's likely to offend...

I went for a rare, short ride for the hell of it at the weekend, and it was ace but did it in normal short avec grundies underneath. Am now regretting that choice as I have horrid saddle sores on the joint betwixt top of leg and perineal region, and although I've used proper cycling shorts avec padded nappy (commando stylee) this week, am still sore. Have also nicked some of the kids' Sudocrem which has helped a bit but am still in some discomfort.

Any suggestions on a) prevention and b) cure?? Feel free to be graphic in replies, I work in the healthcare industry so I understand basic human anatomy type stuff.

BTW, yes I am a clean sort of person.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've always used talc when things get sore 'tween the legs - that and wearing boxers for a few days.

Keeping things dry really seems to help
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Mouldy bread...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Salt bath? Unfortunately, riding on it is probably not going to help it heal. Could you stand a day or two off the bike to get it on going in the right direction? If not, don't hang around in sweaty gear - wash and change ASAP after each ride.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Are you actually sat on the perenium region during cycling if so that is wrong. You need to to be sat on the area behind that known commonly as your "sit bones". Your saddle may have to move forward to compensate for this.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like a sweat rash aggravated by chaffing. Canestan do a hydrocortizone cream that may help you.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1 was going to recommend the same; works for me for both running and cycling.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited July 2010
    SecretSam wrote:
    Any suggestions on a) prevention and b) cure??

a) Assos Chamois Cream. Apply liberally and locally. Just be ready to hop from foot to foot, saying "ow ow ow!" first time you apply it
    b) time
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    SecretSam wrote:
    Now, I know there was a post from a laydee on here complaining about pain in her "punani" or whatever. I don't f$ck around when it comes to sorting out things with my body so here's a health warning: I'm going to use correct anatomical terms. Look away now if that's likely to offend...

I went for a rare, short ride for the hell of it at the weekend, and it was ace but did it in normal short avec grundies underneath. Am now regretting that choice as I have horrid saddle sores on the joint betwixt top of leg and perineal region, and although I've used proper cycling shorts avec padded nappy (commando stylee) this week, am still sore. Have also nicked some of the kids' Sudocrem which has helped a bit but am still in some discomfort.

Any suggestions on a) prevention and b) cure?? Feel free to be graphic in replies, I work in the healthcare industry so I understand basic human anatomy type stuff.

"Avec grundies" is is hardly a correct anatomical term.
    At the risk of sounding like a hippy, I use I use Tea Tree oil on saddle sores and Body Shop body butter to prevent them.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • rjsterry
    dondare wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

"Avec grundies" is is hardly a correct anatomical term.
    At the risk of sounding like a hippy, I use I use Tea Tree oil on saddle sores and Body Shop body butter to prevent them.

That's not so much a risk as a certainty :wink:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• dondare
    Works for me. And I cycle in jeans or shorts avec grundies.
  • rjsterry
    Don't get me wrong, I think Tea Tree Oil is great stuff. Not sure about the body butter though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Wire brush and dettol.

What was the question again?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Greg66 wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Any suggestions on a) prevention and b) cure??

a) Assos Chamois Cream. Apply liberally and locally. Just be ready to hop from foot to foot, saying "ow ow ow!" first time you apply it
    b) time

+1, the Assos cream is magic and sorts out all my saddle induced woes
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • dondare
    rjsterry wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, I think Tea Tree Oil is great stuff. Not sure about the body butter though.

I haven't actually needed to use the tea tree oil since I started using the body butter.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Wire brush and dettol.

What was the question again?

:):):) Coffee all over the keyboard - again
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Keep them clean and dry. I do mean dry. Spend time with a towel. Oh yes.

It;s probably sweat sat in your crevices (had dinner yet?) and drying, causing some delightful chafing. As for prevention, get rid of sweat as soon as possible (wicking clothing). For cure, clean and dry (did I mention dry yet), and let the air get to them. Loose clothing.

Well, it worked for me. It might not work for you; it's your skin -- listen to it, not us.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sudocreme to treat, petroleum jelly to protect...

Put the sudocreme on overnight to encourage healing, petroleum jelly in the morning to protect for the day, great stuff and apparently has lots of other uses as well.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    If you suffer use Sudocreme prior to riding.

I swear by surgical spirit, it will keep sores at bay and it will clear up a sore quickly if used as an after thought. It's the dogs dooda's as far as I'm concerned.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    petroleum jelly in the morning to protect for the day, great stuff and apparently has lots of other uses as well.

You do mean for car battery terminals? Don't you?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of course, what else would I be thinking of?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Ian.B wrote:
    You do mean for car battery terminals? Don't you?

Why would he want a car battery attached to his... actually, never mind.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    the old ones are the best , brilliant write up on saddle sores
    http://www.fatcyclist.com/2007/03/21/the-sorts-of-saddle-sores-and-their-sources/
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wash, dry area well but with care, apply Sudocrem.

Wear PJ bottoms as much as practically possible over next few days, only use bike when necessary. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsam
    I mostly solved it by getting a new saddle (Charge Knife) on special offer at £22!

£95 Selle Italia Gel Flite thing that it replaced will soon be up for sale...

• ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I mostly solved it by getting a new saddle (Charge Knife) on special offer at £22!

Where from?
  • secretsam

Where from?

Can't recall, possibly Rutland - was a few months ago

Cracking saddle.