Specialized Tricross 2010 Cyclo Cross queries

oldmcgroin
oldmcgroin Posts: 13
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

First time poster here.

I haven't ridden a bike since i was about 15 -16 and had a Raleigh Activator so I don;t really know my arse from elbow when it comes to proper road bikes.

However I'm hoping to buy a new bike soon, mainly to commute to work. Even though my main use of the bike will be in on roads, i don;t really want to limit myself as I probably will at some point want to do a little bit of offroad with family and friends - nothing too extreme, maybe down some canal paths and very light dirt tracks, through parks etc.

So with this is mind i have decided to go for a Specialized Tricross 2010 Cyclo Cross Bike. Would this be a good choice for my needs?

I will be mainly using it as a road bike i'd like to change the tyres supplied 32 tyres to 23/25 Continental Gatorskin tyres. The bike comes with Specialized Borough Pro, 700x32c, wire bead, 60TPI on Alex ACE-19 double wall rims.

Is it possible to use 23/25 tyres on these rims?

Would I have to change the tube as well?

How easy is it to change the tube/tyres over? Does it take long?

Cheers

Dan

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Good choice!

Definitely can take 25mm as that's what I changed to. 23mm should be ok as well I imagine. You will have to get thinner tubes.

Changing tube and tyre is dead easy once you've done it a few times. About 5 mins to change, and another 10 mins to pump if you only have a poxy mini pump!
  • Rooner
    Rooner Posts: 109
    I've been looking for a new bike too, and am tempted by the cyclocross approach. The spesh looks nice, and a friend has one and he thinks its great.

Have you seen the Edinburgh Revolution Cross? Under £400 (just), not as nicely specced but I think it sounds pretty good? Anyone got one?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    edited July 2010
    I've got one and I think it's over rated, wish I'd bought a race bred flat bar roadie ......... like this one :roll:

bianchicamaleonte4.jpg

Main reason for not being impressed is the simple fact I realise I prefer flat bar to drops, wider bars , more comfortable position, just as fast.

ooohhhh this is nice :)

trek77fx.jpg

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Rooner

I have the Edinburgh Cross 09. I'm fairly pleased with it, and I got it for about £350 in their sale. I had to replace the rear wheel as it wasn't quite up to fully laden touring but it still feels like a bargain.

That said, as soon as the C2W scheme starts at work I'll be getting a Tri-cross.... or perhaps a Croix de Fer... or a Secteur or...
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    I love the Tricross Singlecross, maybe all second hand now if they stopped making them.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Welcome! Also, great choice!

Changing tubes and tyres can be easy, or it can be a right pain.

Gatorskins, I believe, are in the 'a right pain' category because they're very tight on the rims, whereas (for example) schwalbe ultremos are the opposite.
  • For someone who doesn't know his arse from his elbow, that's a pretty well informed choice. Yes, it'd be ideal, and pretty quick. Like LiT says, Gatorskins have a reputation for being "a bit tight", they're heavy too. Could you persuade your LBS to change them before you pick the bike up?

Oh, and your arse is the one which goes on the saddle. :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I recently stuck Gator Skins on my Tricross and found then no bother to fit. 25mm for me and have done some sportives and touring on them and had no issues, other than some chunks taken out. No visits from the punt*re fairy yet after about 1200 miles, so reasonably happy with them. Have Marathon Plus's that I ran for 1,500 mileswith no issues, but they are heavier, and not suited for longer rides, though fine for track and canal paths.

With 25mm you don't need to change the tubes as, tubes usually cover 25 to 35mm, any thing below 25mm will need thinner tubes. My thoughts are that less than 25mm would be too small for the rims, but you might get away with it.

Great choice is the Tricross, very versitile and can change options with different tyres, so not needing a pure road bike. Very comfortable for 100+ miles per day and have done 80 - 90 miles a day with full panniers without a problem.

Enjoy, and look forward to hearing how you find it.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Good choice, I've had a Tricross Comp for 6 months, used as a commuter and for longer distance rides with 28mm Bontrager Hardcases. Only selling it now as I have 3 other bikes (pub hybrid, home made single speed, just bought a posh roadie) but if I could only own 1 it would be the Tricross.
  • oldmcgroin
    oldmcgroin Posts: 13
    Thank you all for your replies guys you are all really, really helpful. :-) I feel i'm making the right choice with this bike, have been looking at what to get for ages, its been driving me mad!! Glad i've settled on something good and pleased i can change the tyres relatively easy for road/track use

Thanks again

Dan
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    and no one's mentioned the free cape yet 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I ride my Tricross with 23s as a commuter. Will use the 32s in winter though as my "snow bike".

Tricross sounds perfect for your needs. Other 'cross bikes are available too.
    The standard wheels will fit a wide range of tyres- everything from 20 to 45mm rubber would be fine.

I would suggest, if you are using it as your 'one and only' bike, that you consider running 2 pairs of wheels.
    1 pair (the originals I guess) will have the 9 speed 11-32 cassette and 'soft road' tyres.
    1 pair (suggest Planet X model B @ £99) will have a narrower racing block -something like 11-25 if available - and 23/25mm tyres.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    The standard tyres are pretty good all round tyres anyway. Have a go with them first. I think they offer a good blend of speed and comfort. You may find you don't need to spend any more money until they wear out.

Remember what Lance said: Its not about the bike....