Grrrr, problems with my existing bike now!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Why is it that when you think one thing is sorted, you quickly find out that it's REALLY not.... :roll:

The Orange 5 build is slowly getting there (as and when I have the cash to buy the parts), so am still riding my trusty Superlight which did me proud in the Peak District this weekend. Got home and realised that there's oil (?) leaking from my forks, so went into the bike shop and - sure enough - I've blown a seal. Working ok-ish for this weekend though (no time to get the forks fixed before then).

Turned up last night to ride, having just got the bike back from the shop about the forks, jumped on and - NOTHING. Tried again and still nothing, so had a look and my rear mech has completely buckled itself and crunched the chain up :(

How the hell did that happen?!! It was fine at the weekend and when I got it back from the shop! I only weight about 8 stone so I can't see how me trying to get the pedal to move could have done that?!!

Anyway, my other half and mates decided I was a lost cause and shot off to ride for the night, leaving me looking like a right wally in the pub for about 3 hours in riding clothes..... Fortunately I had the foresight to raid the parking change from the car and treated myself to a bloody great big glass of wine :D

Superlight is now being fixed by a mate in time for this weekend, but a new rear mech, chain and cassette are in order I think..... So much for saving up all my cash for the Orange :? :roll: :twisted:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Not just me then?

Mrs keeps saying..."Why do you need 3 bikes?"
    Answer: Coz there's only one that ever works, at any one time.

My old man used to say a similar thing, just before he sold a car.
    He said it would always play up, as though it "knew" it was being sold...
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    How new is your middle ring on your crankset? If it's fairly recent it's won't be an issue but if it's been on there a while you'll find new chain + Cassette + worn chainring = much chain slippage \ chain suck.

I do the whole chain, chain ring + cassette as part of an annual service for my other half's Juliana.

Oh, you'd be surprised at how much crisper your shifting is if you replace the gear cable inner :)

How long you had the Juliana?

T1b
  • miss notax
    To be honest I haven't replaced any parts in the two and a bit years i've had it (it's serviced every year though, and goes to the bike shop for any problems) :shock:

I know there's my answer - the bike has obviously been a bit neglected and it's all going wrong now! I have definitely put the bike though it's paces though, so I guess it's only logical that the bits that are most 'abused' will start to wear and break :?

(It's a blokey one by the way, rather than the Juliana! The Orange 5 is female specific and it'll be interesting to see how it compares.... :D )
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    I bet your Hanger or Rear Mech was bent or damaged in transit back from the shop?
  • miss notax
    Red Route wrote:
    I bet your Hanger or Rear Mech was bent or damaged in transit back from the shop?

Really? I guess that's a possibility, but we always put the bikes in the back of the car (massive Volvo, front wheels off but the rest left alone, padding between the bikes etc) and never had any problems before. I will definitely be extra careful in the future though :?

Just thinking about it, it's ironic if that's what has happened.... It's survived being thrown around (literally!) some extreme terrain over 2/3 years only to break in the back of the damn car :roll: :lol:

• Red Route
    Red Route Posts: 59
    I suppose the shop could have damaged it too?
    It can be easily knocked or bumped. I've had 2 broken hangers in the last 18 months. I've had my chain come off a few times as soon as I've taken it out the back of car too. Maybe the bumps in transit don't help?