No love for DCL levers??

jayson
jayson Posts: 4,606
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Ive been using these for a while now and ive just upgraded to a set of XT levers which i got for a steal from Merlin and im really pleased with them.

It seems odd to me that no one else seems to use them though, very few new bikes have them fitted and no one else ive seen while out on my bike has had them fitted on theirs and i really cant figure out why.

The convenience and ease puts them way ahead of RF levers i think and coupled with a rapid rise rear mech the action is so slick and light that sometimes ive had to look down to make sure i have actually changed gear!!

Im a huge fan is anyone else here?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just don't get on with them lol. I find gear changes more precise and easier with standard RF. And less likely to change by accident.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    Just don't get on with them lol. I find gear changes more precise and easier with standard RF. And less likely to change by accident.

+1, my dad loves them, i hate them, can't stand the things, plus your are lockied into shimano brakes, which imo have always been crap, other than the new saints
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Maybe they are a marmite thing but once u get used to the action there really is no goin back to trigger shifters, atleast for me.

As for the brakes, i was never really a fan of shimano brakes in the past but these XT stoppers feel very nice. The modulation is there and theres plenty of power on hand no matter what the conditions so far.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I liked them, used them for a few years when they were new, have now gone through various iterations of SRAM triggers/Grip Shift/Rapid Fire pods and now back to SRAM triggers.

They all change gear, I think Grip Shift can't be beaten for the 'knowing you've changed gear' feeling. Shimano Rapid Fire pods are lovely and light, new SRAM XX triggers have a really nice feel, and the old SRAM triggers have nothing good going for them really. I got more accidental shifts with those than any other system.

Different strokes and that...

Still, Shimano aren't doing 10 speed DC levers, so there's obviously not that much love for them!
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Yep got xtr on my Trek and xt on my hard tail, imo Xt are better than the xtr btw because of the modulation adjustment, But yer i love em unfortunately I've gone over to Sram XX on my 29er otherwise i would have had them on that. :) They do seem to be a bit of a marmitie thing though ?
    Plus no DLC 2x10 shifters from shimano so.... :cry:
  • beardytwo
    beardytwo Posts: 174
    Been using them for a couple of years now and I have no problems. I find them very intuitive and have never accidentally changed gear. Only issue I have is the throw of the lever for the front mech is a bit much. Rear is very slick coupled with an older xtr mech. They are the Deore LX and even the brakes are good now I have superstar pads in...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano brakes have never been poorly rated. I reckon the vast majority of the riders in Les Gets/Morzine etc were using XT discs when we were there.
    Great stoppers. There was a phase a few years ago when there was a lot of Shimano hate going round, but that was mainly a fashion thing I suspect.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    XT discs.....

.....Great stoppers.

Gotta agree.

Once they're properly bedded in you have to pick your eyeballs up everytime you stop. :lol:
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    pte1643 wrote:
    XT discs.....

.....Great stoppers.

Gotta agree.

Once they're properly bedded in you have to pick your eyeballs up everytime you stop. :lol:

+1
    I've allways found xt and xtr brakes great !!!!
  • gnusmas
    gnusmas Posts: 167
    i have upgraded my DCL's from XT to XTR. Hummed and Haad about RF but i really like the DCL so i stuck with them and glad i did, the XTR is slightly better than the XT's IMO.