Contador Mystery training

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Good post on the Inner Ring

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... plans.html

It seems everyone manages to ramp up a lot of % in a short period of time these days.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    "next question" said a lot about ac last summer
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    So, what has contador got to hide? (now if i can find a graph from somewhere)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    This is the sort of article that could start another posting frenzy over in the Cyclingnews warzone. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Without the real SRM data it's hard to know for sure and we'll never get this detail from riders or teams. For example take the time up Alpe d'Huez and you might think it was slow but it was windy and if this means a tailwind at times, it means a strength sapping headwind too. So the time isn't necessarily an indication of the form, although I don't know what figures are being used.

Didn't Brajkovic post something on twitter about gaining 50 watts since the Dauphine? That's got be more than 10%. Big gain.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    Good post on the Inner Ring

http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... plans.html

It seems everyone manages to ramp up a lot of % in a short period of time these days.

True champions have no need of training. They simply summon the Muse whenever it suits them, and they attack.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    Without the real SRM data it's hard to know for sure and we'll never get this detail from riders or teams. For example take the time up Alpe d'Huez and you might think it was slow but it was windy and if this means a tailwind at times, it means a strength sapping headwind too. So the time isn't necessarily an indication of the form, although I don't know what figures are being used.

Didn't Brajkovic post something on twitter about gaining 50 watts since the Dauphine? That's got be more than 10%. Big gain.

strange how there were no headwinds on Alpe D'huez for 12 years of tdf stages, be it mtt or 100 mile road stages. The first 4 miles of the Alpe were not windy in the Dauphine and the speed was 2km ph off Pantani for that section. I don't think AC will dominate this years tdf
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Contandor wasn't even going full gas on the Alpe?!

He was attacking, then slowing right down, then attacking (briefly) again. Repeatedly. Wasn't like when Carlos Sastre rode up as fast as he could all the way.

Not sure Contador's time up the Alpe in the Dauphine means anything.
  • msw
    msw Posts: 313
    "But at the same time, a rider can only ride his bike. It comes down to kilometres ridden, intensities, intervals and wattages."

New record for fastest self-contradiction?
    "We're not holding up traffic. We are traffic."
  • dave_1
    Contandor wasn't even going full gas on the Alpe?!

He was attacking, then slowing right down, then attacking (briefly) again. Repeatedly. Wasn't like when Carlos Sastre rode up as fast as he could all the way.

Not sure Contador's time up the Alpe in the Dauphine means anything.

how do we know ac was not going flat out? His spin machine fed us the training line but his face told another story
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:

how do we know ac was not going flat out? His spin machine fed us the training line but his face told another story

He's would've been giving it 100%. But if his form wasn't 100% (which it wasn't) it would've been like giving it 90%

Easy.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

He's would've been giving it 100%. But if his form wasn't 100% (which it wasn't) it would've been like giving it 90%

Easy.

That is true,we will see... The margin of improvement in 3 weeks should in theory be small, not huge.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    quite simply elite athletes shouldn't be able to do it...

Even 5% is astonishing.

10% in 3 weeks is more than doable for novices though...
  • "Or it could be that Perthuis has his numbers wrong and that Contador's gains aren't as significant as the journalist thinks"
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    "Or it could be that Perthuis has his numbers wrong and that Contador's gains aren't as significant as the journalist thinks"

+1

Also this:
    "But when the Spaniard arrives at the Tour, his numbers are up by some 10%"
    Where did Perthuis pull this number from?
    Very unlikely that he has seen Contador's power meter?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    'Today Aldo Sassi will explain the regimes of his riders'

Anyone seen this yet?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Arkibal wrote:
    "Or it could be that Perthuis has his numbers wrong and that Contador's gains aren't as significant as the journalist thinks"

+1

Also this:
    "But when the Spaniard arrives at the Tour, his numbers are up by some 10%"
    Where did Perthuis pull this number from?
    Very unlikely that he has seen Contador's power meter?

Heamatocrit numbers? :o
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm not sure any of these numbers are to be taken too literally - it's generally riders or coaches saying they trained well and are in top condition. Generally displaying confidence.

They always improve 5% or 10%, which are nice roundish numbers. No-one ever seems to improve 4% or 6.5%

It's like when a rider says he's going to give 110% for the team. No-one asks what the extra 10% is meant to be (expect on the CN forum where they would have 15 pages about how it proves he's doping).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Dave_1 wrote:

Dave. I must be honest, I had the same doubts as you. While he was obviously not 100% ready on the Alpe, he looked as if he would struggle, to hold sustained attacks, come July.

I watched the Ventoux stage of the 2007 Dauphine, a few days back.
    Bertie was anonymous for most of the race and finished behind Leipheimer and quite a few other riders on the giant.
    No attacks, nada, just following wheels.
    We all know what happened in July.

His performance on the Alpe 2010, was in a different league to Ventoux, 2007.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    calvjones wrote:

Anyone seen this yet?
    Yes, I think it was Bici that visited Basso for a several days, the rider was doing a transparency thing by inviting the rider and Sassi was on hand to with explanations of motor paced sessions, target wattages, lactate measurements and all. It was detailed.

Similarly Sassi was in La Gazzetta during the Giro with insights into Basso and Evans.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Kléber wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Anyone seen this yet?
    Yes, I think it was Bici that visited Basso for a several days, the rider was doing a transparency thing by inviting the rider and Sassi was on hand to with explanations of motor paced sessions, target wattages, lactate measurements and all. It was detailed.

Similarly Sassi was in La Gazzetta during the Giro with insights into Basso and Evans.

Oh right, thought the 'today' bit meant it was a new thing

Strava is not Zen.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Dave_1 wrote:

Dave. I must be honest, I had the same doubts as you. While he was obviously not 100% ready on the Alpe, he looked as if he would struggle, to hold sustained attacks, come July.

Bertie was anonymous for most of the race and finished behind Leipheimer and quite a few other riders on the giant.

you have to remember before he started this last block of racing this year that he had just been on 3 weeks holiday. So, to expect him to be able to fire like he will in the tour is very optimistic. I can easily see a 10% increase from then till now.

one thing I am curious about is his National TT and why he did not take part. Was it to keep his rivals guessing about the numbers he is currently putting out?
    cartoon.jpg
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

I hope we're right Blaze as it will be an exicting TDF! The stage in the Dauphine 09 where he let Evans and Valverde drop him near the finish showed, in hindsight, he really was training. Did the Dauphine TT result last month put him on the back foot a little, hence the volley of attacks on the Alpe?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I’m telling you, he’s above anything I’ve known
    - D la Fuente
    Contador is the Greatest
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Bruyneel is claiming Armstrong improved 10% in 3 days :wink:
  • dave_1
    micron wrote:
    Bruyneel is claiming Armstrong improved 10% in 3 days :wink: