Flat bar road bikes, suggestions?

marki3boy
marki3boy Posts: 20
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm interested in getting a flat bar road bike, does anyone have any suggestions, apart from Giant Rapid and FCR?
Meta and two veg

Comments

• londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    the FCR was my second bike after a MTB that I used to commute last year I had the FCR 1, was a great bike to commute on
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    How much you after spending? At the cheaper end there's the claude butler levante.

I've had one to poke around on for a the past few years. I've had to change the wheelset (I did get run over though...) and the front mech - but the area of Yorkshire I was in was covered in a strange layer of bike-eating grit.
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardman's......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    been very happy with my carrera gryphon - comes with disc or canti brakes, depending on what you want it for. cheapish too, if your budget is low.

however, had i had the extra dosh at the time, i would have had a boardman.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter uses a Gryphon frame, (bought as a bare frame), its OK but more a 'touring' weight as flyweight it isn't (4lbs).

To correct PBo, its disc or V-brake.

There is a review on here, fairly good and its currently £290 (V-brake).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Trek FX range?

I love my 7.5

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/fx/75fx/

Got it for £560.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Suggestions? Stop being a fashionista and get a proper drop handle bar machine :wink:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • marki3boy
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Suggestions? Stop being a fashionista and get a proper drop handle bar machine :wink:

Not sure if I’ll get on with drops, I’m trying to get a 24 hr test ride of a Giant Defy, but in the mean time I'm looking into flat bar roadies.
    Meta and two veg
  • Another happy gryphon owner here :wink:
  • marki3boy
    I ride a Subway at the moment, so a Gryphon may well be contender, unless my firm finally sets up a Cycle to Work scheme, then I can get something fancier.
    Meta and two veg