annoying 'tinking' sound from BB

sofaboy73
sofaboy73 Posts: 574
edited July 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
i've got an annoying sound coming from what seems like by external BB cups (although as it's amplified by the frame tubing I'm not 100% sure). can only really describe it as a light metalic tinking noise

only happens when pedaling.

have whiped off the chain set, removed cups, cleaned and regreased threads, checked and re-torqued chain ring & crank arm bolts, checked pedals and even checked saddle bolts (the source of many a previous creeak).

still there anoying me as i grind up hill.

any ideas before i but some new cups?

Comments

• Thread8
    Thread8 Posts: 479
    Shoe laces tapping the crank? Cable tapping frame?
    Haro Thread 8
    Please help!

"It's like parkour, on a bike"
  • sofaboy73
    checked those, it's definately a metal under pressure sound.

really begining to bug me. - any other ideas?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Check/service the headset.

I assume you don't use a cadence sensor or anything like that?
  • sofaboy73
    diy wrote:
    Check/service the headset.

I assume you don't use a cadence sensor or anything like that?

headset all good as recently replaced. no, no cadence sensor.

frustrating, isn't it!
  • getting the same thing here i thought it was my spd's for a while but i wax them now and they are silent....
    it is only evident when peddling hard and varies for me from size to side
    i.e. it tings more on the left pedal than the right
    got shimano hollowtech's here
    so i hope someone finds a fix as after a while it does get annoying

thanks...
  • diy
    Check cassette is tight, Check there isn't a worn tooth on the chain rings which is catching, Check the QRs are clean and tight..
    Check the springs in your brakes are not catching the rotors..

Is it full sus or ht?
    next thought is frame bearings.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sofaboy73 wrote:
    i
    only happens when pedaling.

and when, when pedaling?

where are the cranks? how many times a revolution?
    in what gears?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • thanks for getting back to me
    it happens in all gears front and back
    i get 2 tings tings on the left pedal and one on the right and it is more evident when peddling harder..
    dont think its the sprocket it sounds like it coud be the crank but imnot sure obviously..i had a chap at a bike shop look at it he couldnt find the fault either...
    its nothing serious though just a niggle
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Seatpost/Clamp/Saddle. Take the lot off and go for a quick cycle to see if it continues. I initially thought that it was my BB or cranks that was creaking, then thought headset/front end but ended up being seatpost. If it is then its just a regreasing, but the noise you're describing sounds similar to mine. When you say you get 'tings', for me it was putting down the power on each crank and shifting the seatpost slightly which caused creaking.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    AidanR wrote:
    :lol:

Ahem, anyway, my first thought was front mech cable poking out and catching the crank arms. Doesn't fit the description so well now though.

Try removing the pedals, greasing the threads, and refitting them.
  • diy
    In my experience of fixing noises, you just can't rely on where its sounds like its coming from. If the noise is consistent with harder pedaling at the same point on each rotation, then if its not crank related. It could be pretty much anything that can move under pedal load. from a shock bush, to a frame bearing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    True, that.
    I once had a strange squeak that seemed to be coming from the swingarm pivots, but it turned out it was somebody's pet rat in Cambodia.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thanks for getting back to me
    it happens in all gears front and back
    i get 2 tings tings on the left pedal and one on the right and it is more evident when peddling harder..
    dont think its the sprocket it sounds like it coud be the crank but imnot sure obviously..i had a chap at a bike shop look at it he couldnt find the fault either...
    its nothing serious though just a niggle

what is the bike and....?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown