exactly what planet are they on?

brin
brin Posts: 1,122
edited July 2010 in The bottom bracket
Not content with cutting policing costs, prob's resulting in reduced numbers of boys in blue on the streets, the government now think it's a good idea not to lock up so called 'soft' offenders ???
as a well known journalist signs off.....you couldn't make it up!

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    brin wrote:
    Not content with cutting policing costs, prob's resulting in reduced numbers of boys in blue on the streets, the government now think it's a good idea not to lock up so called 'soft' offenders ???

I don't have any stats on me, but what if rehabilitation programmes are more effective at preventing re-offending than prison? Would you support the idea if it meant a reduction in crime?
  • johnfinch wrote:
    brin wrote:

I don't have any stats on me, but what if rehabilitation programmes are more effective at preventing re-offending than prison? Would you support the idea if it meant a reduction in crime?

As part of a well-planned programme of rehabilitation it would work. However, it looks rather doubtful in a climate of slashing public spending where the aim seems to be to do everything on the cheap that ''well-planned'' will play any part in it.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In the words of Pink Floyd

Money :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    johnfinch wrote:
    brin wrote:

As part of a well-planned programme of rehabilitation it would work. However, it looks rather doubtful in a climate of slashing public spending where the aim seems to be to do everything on the cheap that ''well-planned'' will play any part in it.

Probably
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    A bullet's a lot cheaper! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    A bullet's a lot cheaper! :D

I read somewhere that the Chinese send the bill for the bullet to your Family :shock:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    johnfinch wrote:
    brin wrote:

As long as they also had to serve a punishment element as well - yes!
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    You cannot be seriously suggesting using a bullet on petty criminals, that's disgraceful :twisted:

Not when hanging is a viable option :D 100% fully recyclable equipment, all natural products for the rope and scaffold, hang one person, the next can be hung using the same equipment, it reduces crime figures and is good for the environment, green punishment.
  • tebbit wrote:
    You cannot be seriously suggesting using a bullet on petty criminals, that's disgraceful :twisted:

Not when hanging is a viable option :D 100% fully recyclable equipment, all natural products for the rope and scaffold, hang one person, the next can be hung using the same equipment, it reduces crime figures and is good for the environment, green punishment.

Good of you to think of reducing the carbide footprint!
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    tebbit wrote:

be sure to use their worthless bodies as compost :lol:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Now your thinking of the benefits to society of a programme of execution of petty offenders, not only composting of the not-unworthless bodies, but the employment of skilled craftsmen to construct the scaffold, the revival of a hemp rope industry, farming to produce the hemp and literally falling crime figures. Think of it as a form of rehabilitation, once they have undergone this attitude altering experience they do not go on to re-offend, especially if the long drop method is used.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    daviesee wrote:

Money :evil:

I thought you were going to say "Got to keep the loonies on the path".
  • daviesee wrote:

''I've got a bike.
    You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings,
    and things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.''

Borrowed it? A likely tale! To the hanging woods!