Monte Zonoclan

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
Anybody thinking of taking on "The Beast" next year. now this looks like Sportive for a one off never forget experience, I've conquered Zoncolan. Coming back from the Dolomites recently, 1 Italian said to me that not much is known about this sportive or people just avoid it for obvious reasons!!! He also said to me that Mount Ventoux is like a rolling hill compared to the beast. his Garmin was registering 22-30 at some points, now I'm going to have to lose a lot of weight and try a 44/36 or something or a triple, he finally said that a lot of people just end up walking and sit down in despair. Crazy.....

http://www.carniaclassic.com/

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Monte Zoncolan is probably the toughest climb in Europe, in terms of gradients (of course I am ruling out silly things like Malga Palazzo). It is relentless and some sections are well beyond 20%. The famous Angliru in the Asturias has some easier sections, the Mortirolo does not have those gradients, the Zoncolan is unique. Of course one might argue that the Stelvio pass or the Col Du Galibier are much longer climbs, with the altitude adding up to the difficulty... but in terms of gradients it is unequalled
    left the forum March 2023
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 241
    I had the "pleasure" of riding the Zoncolan on two consecutive days last month. The easiest parts ( the top couple of Km) are as hard as anything in France. It's unique in that there is absolutely no let up for 6km or so and it's an achievement just to reach the summit without stopping.

The area around there is full of 15% gradients so beware - all I'll say is it's not a climb I want to do again and the Mortirolo is a joy in comparison.
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75
    canoas wrote:
    Anybody thinking of taking on "The Beast" next year. now this looks like Sportive for a one off never forget experience, I've conquered Zoncolan. Coming back from the Dolomites recently, 1 Italian said to me that not much is known about this sportive or people just avoid it for obvious reasons!!! He also said to me that Mount Ventoux is like a rolling hill compared to the beast. his Garmin was registering 22-30 at some points, now I'm going to have to lose a lot of weight and try a 44/36 or something or a triple, he finally said that a lot of people just end up walking and sit down in despair. Crazy.....

http://www.carniaclassic.com/

Indeed usually amongo granfondo riders some other events would be chosed instead of this one.
    There's to add that this year they had some economic problems and couldn't organize the event (last one was in 2009).
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    Yeah I have an Italian neighbour, who translated the Carnia site for me. 2010 edition was indeed cancelled due to sponsorship funds. Hopefully this will kick into gear again in 2011, also because its in early June, the weather can be quiet bad Zoncolan roads are only open for about 4-5 months of the year due to snow. Also I found out in Italy this sportive usually attracts the high end riders or not the mix like other sportives a lot of ex pros and good amateurs, I gather that's because of the extreme difficulty of Monte Zoncolan. Its an interesting sportive but something you have think seriously about been in tip-top shape and down on the weight.

I know someone who's done all the major climbs, says the Zonc is the hardest there is.