Hope V's Avid

phildavis
phildavis Posts: 164
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hope mono mini (coulpe of years old version) V's Avid Elixir R which gets your vote?

Comments

• phildavis
    Come on thats cheating...
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Hope's. Purely because the CNC work is nice to look at.
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    The Avids i've owned have been faultless for 3 years bleeding with the bleed kit is simple and perfect every time and it's easy to get the caliper spaced over the disc right using the tri align.(pull brake tighten bolts caliper aligned).
    The hopes i and my friends have used in the past have been a bit tempramentle to bleed and playing about popping shims in and out to get the caliper aligned is a pain. However the hopes i have used are prob a bit more powerful and you get to have uk made beautifully machined kit on your bike.
    Swings and roundabouts my friend
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have elixir cr carbons in white and hope mono mini (the sliver and black ones) with carbon levers (so fairly similar)

The elixirs are a lot more powerful, the hopes look better and have more useful real world adjustment and are easier to set up how i like.

The both align fine.

Hopes are MUCH easier to bleed.

All in there really isn't much between them, i probably marginally prefer the hopes because they look much nicer and I prefer the feel and control i get. But the sheer volume of stopping on tap with the elixirs is amazing.
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    I am in the process of buying a set of Avid Elixir Rs which came to the same price as a Hope front :( don't get me wrong I love Hope stuff, but just could not afford the extra expense :(
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    My Avid, Juicy 5's and 7's failed miserably.

I've gone off avid.

Hope never used.

I can highly reccomend Formula Oro bianco's though, takes it to a whole new league.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Shimano XT

Next Question?
    :D agreed
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • weemo1rush
    weemo1rush Posts: 78
    HOPE ALL THE WAY. whilst supporting a uk firm the eye candy factory is by far the best. And to be fair at this level there is not much between the top manufacturers. if you pull any decent hydro disc hard enough your going over the bars!!
    After all guys function is one thing and bling is another !!
    You know it
  • largephil
    largephil Posts: 358
    I've run Avid Jucy 3's and Elixir 4's, both very powerfull brakes. Elixirs look nicer but they both stop you very hard if you need them to. Pads a bit fiddley to change on both.

I run Hope mini pros at the moment though and although not as blunt in stopping power, they will stop you just as hard if you pull hard enough on the levers. The advantage of this is a much better feel and more progressive controll for braking. Also they look way better 8) Pads are changed in seconds.

Bottom line, if you want brakes powerfull enough for 1 finger braking, maybe the Avids but if you want easier maintenance, a better feel and look then its the Hopes.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Shimano XT

Next Question?

Ive just upgraded to these from deore 535's and i have to agree they are very good brakes specially with my 203mm rotors.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Elixers are great. Upgraded my cube brakes to them from the hayes stroker and really happy with the result!
  • 4ndyW
    4ndyW Posts: 68
    Recently fitted the Hope X2's to my steed, very happy with them and plenty of power (one finger braking is fine!) Not needed to bleed them or anything yet, so cannot comment on that side of things. In all very happy and yep very nice to look at too ! :o)
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    edited July 2010
    I have never got on with Avid (I have tried too, had two sets of Codes in the last year). May have been bad luck or just a personality clash :)

Had many different Hopes over the years, currently have Tech M4's on the hardtail. Very easy to bleed. There are more powerful (and cheaper) brakes, but the feel/modulation is outstanding and they are wonderful to look at ;)

I've recently entered the world of Shimano's modern brakes. Been running Saints on the big bike for a few months now. Can't fault them at all. From what I've heard on here, the XT's are just like the Saints but without the G-Force 10 stopping power at the end of the lever pull.

If that's true, then the XTs would appear to offer the best balance of price/build quality/power/modulation/ease of bleeding.

If you want something a bit trick and are willing to spend more, get some Tech M4's with braided hoses and some nice colourful floating rotors :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Neither tbh. Hope too expensive, Avid too Aviddy. Formula for me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    Neither tbh. Hope too expensive, Avid too Aviddy. Formula for me.

You ain't gonna like when you ride my bike then, it has both an Avid and a Hope :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have a set of hope original minis (2 piece caliper..)...must be 10 years old...still going string. easy to bleed, easy to service - last for as long as they keep selling spares.

Currently enjoying avid elixirs on the hardtail and codes on the dh bike..

comparing the minis to the elixirs, i prefer the feel of the elixirs...similar power. havn't had to bleed or service them yet, so can't really comment.

Needless to say..the hopes are on my girlies bike, while I am loving the avid...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    peter413 wrote:
    You ain't gonna like when you ride my bike then, it has both an Avid and a Hope :lol:

Just don't let them breed
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Just don't let them breed

Why, if I did, I would probably get a Formula.

You know, expensive but cheap :lol:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive had elixir crs and now running hope tech m4s.

the elixirs are more powerfull but to a point that they become too powerfull and grabby, lock up to easyly,very inconsistant, heat up quite quickly and squeal like a pig when you get the discs glowing..

hopes just give you smooth solid progressive braking.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Formula.
  • phildavis
    Should have said earlier, the Avids are Elixir R 7 the Hopes are the ones with the black and gold caliper.