A little ambitious perhaps.....!

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Started cycling in April after saving up for 2 years to get my bike. Have been out every day I can since then, average 3-4 times a week. To start with 25 miles was a bit of a slog, but I soon got into it and started doing 30 miles average each time I went out. Cracked the '50' a month and a half back, all on the flat in an average of nearly 18mph. Today decided I would go for something a little bigger.

I am now sat here typing, and my legs are like jelly..... :lol:

I set off from Congleton, Cheshire at 10am and completed 65 miles. Not only that, but I went East (take a look at the map to see what that entails!). A huge loop passing Tittesworth Reservoir, Thorncliff, Lognor, Tideswell, Bradwell, Hope, Castleton (lunch), the dreaded Wynatts (which beat me! I had to stop 2/3rds the way up for a minute or two), Chapel-en-le-Frith, Kettleshulme, Macclesfield and finally back to Congleton.

No wonder I have nothing left, having just put the route into BikeHike, I have climbed 5959ft :?

I'm chuffed with my average speed of 14mph, which includes stops for map checks and traffic lights!

So, why the post? I just wanted to tell someone who might be interested as the wife just rolled her eyes like this :roll:

PP

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Good stuff....
    if ever you want to do a local ride around Congleton/Leek area during the week daytime , just send me a pm.
    Most days are free now but weekends tend to be other things to do.
  • pilot_pete
    Will do! I work many weekends too, so get time off when everyone else is slaving away!

PP
  • leehellcat
    leehellcat Posts: 37
    Good job fella, sounds like it was fun.
    If its any consolation, my wife does exactly the same when I ceom back from a good ride !
  • pilot_pete
    Cheers Lee,

Trying to work out what bike yours is from the Avatar....?

PP
  • CarleyB
    CarleyB Posts: 475
    i have the opposite problem.. a man who pretends to listen lol
    Level 3 Road & Time Trial Coach, Level 2 Track Coach.

Blackpool Clarion CC
    http://blackpoolclarion.webs.com/

Blackpool Youth Cycling Association
    http://www.go-ride-byca.org
  • pilot_pete
    No, no, he IS listening, he just doesn't hear, or forgets what was said! It's a common man-problem. :wink:

PP
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    leehellcat wrote:
    If its any consolation, my wife does exactly the same when I ceom back from a good ride !
    Could be worse...

Back From My Ride

http://www.xtranormal.com/profile/2607967/

8)
  • masterchef
    masterchef Posts: 202
    awesome mate!, im thinking of doing a end to end next year:)
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Well done fella,

I only just started road cycling late last year but i've just completed London 2 Paris in 3 days (300+miles).

Keep on plugging away and before you know it you'll crack that century cherry (oh and well done with that climbing, i struggle on climbs but am working on it).

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    So, why the post? I just wanted to tell someone who might be interested as the wife just rolled her eyes like this :roll:

PP

LOL - I know what you mean!

Good effort mate - Keep enjoying it and keep it up! :D

Don't do the same today! (unless you're brave :) ) but make sure you go and have a good recovery spin - works for me anyway.

Well done again :D
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • pilot_pete
    BBH wrote:

Don't do the same today! (unless you're brave :) ) but make sure you go and have a good recovery spin - works for me anyway.

Did a relaxed 40miles on the flat with a group the following evening. The odd 'little lumps' didn't feel nice though!

pp
  • Gene Hunt
    Gene Hunt Posts: 40
    Pete,

your not the same Pilot Pete from PPRUNE are you? As an ex TOM employee, you may be able to work out which of your former F/O's I am!

Now fire up the Quattro,

Gene Hunt
    Audi Quattro
    Planet X SL Carbon Pro
  • pilot_pete
    Eh up Chris,

Didn't know you rode a bike! I saw your nik on here the other day and thought of you....little did I know......what a small world. Hope you're keeping well. Now fire up that Quattro!

Cheers

PP