Stopping Power!!

declan_8
declan_8 Posts: 10
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Having recently purchased my first roadbike, Boardman Comp which I am loving a lot, I do get a little nervous when faced with steep descents and fast corners as I feel the brakes could be a lot better than what they are. Since getting the bike I have tightened the brake cables and have them sitting close to the rim say within 2 mm each side, is this the correct setup or should I have them a bit further out from the rim.

I even tried cleaning the rims from dirt and grim build up but it did not improve that much. To be honest I would find it difficult to lock up the brakes if I needed too quickly :? Thankfully I've not needed too yet

So should I be looking to change my setup or change my brake pads and would this make a noticable differance.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    road bike brakes are pretty crap compared to disks, so if you are used to those then it's just a matter of getting used to longer stopping distances, and/or squeezing the levers a lot harder

btw in the wet it's even worse

the front brake is where most of your stopping power is - the rear is more useful when you just want to take off a little speed

i adjust mine to be just clear of the rims, so braking starts with minimal pressure on the levers

new cables will stretch, so in the first few weeks you'll need to keep an eye on them, and tweak the adjustment accordingly

some pads are better than others, if the current ones aren't too good, you could go for grippier ones, although these might be more abrasive...
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    declan_8 wrote:
    To be honest I would find it difficult to lock up the brakes if I needed too quickly :?

FWIW I can't remember a time when I needed to "lock 'em up" and they didn't lock.
    If I've had to jamb on the brakes they have always "locked up". So I don't know whats with yours.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Change your brake pads to these: http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP5993.aspx?utm_source%3dinternal%26utm_medium%3dsite%26utm_campaign%3dDFR
    You'll need two sets, but they come with holders and a spare set of pads, so not bad value.
    Cycling weakly
  • declan_8
    declan_8 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them and anticipating as much as possible.

I might try some Kool Stop pads to see if they will make an improvement after all they wont be the most expensive upgrade I will make :wink:
  • mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    2mm each side sounds quite loose to me... As long as your wheels are true and the brakes set up correctly, you can have them closer with no rub.

My brakes make contact with about 1 inch movement on the brake levers at the lowest point, so I get good pressure on the hoods, and pretty decent stopping power in the drops which is the position I descend in.
    exercise.png
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    declan_8 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them and anticipating as much as possible.

I might try some Kool Stop pads to see if they will make an improvement after all they wont be the most expensive upgrade I will make :wink:
    they most definately will make a difference. keep chain oil off your rims.i splatters when you ride, wipe the excess off.
  • Get some Koolstop brake pads from somewhere like Wiggle.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_Stop_Dura_Ace~Ultegra~105_Pair_Of_Cartridge_Inserts/5300005952/

I got them about 8 weeks ago and put them on my Boardman and nearly went over the handlebars when I first used them. They are fantastic, easy to fit, and you don't get that horrible scratching/squealing noise when braking, keeping your rims much cleaner.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team