New bike advice

beardyt0m
beardyt0m Posts: 6
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am looking for a new bike on CycleScheme.

The bike is for my daily commute, about 2 miles of fairly flat tarmac each way. My priorities are simple, reliable, easy/low maintenance, lighter the better. Though I like the sound of single-speed, I know I would miss at least a few gears. Hub gears and disc brakes would be nice for their lower maintenance. I would need mudguards, but no rack/panniers. I've been cycling a long time so have helmet/reflective jacket/lock/lights/etc. Budget is ~£500.

I like the look of Ridgeback Avenida 7 (though I'd lose the rack to keep weight down):
http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bi ... _bike=TRUE

I'm also tempted by a Dawes Mean Street:
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-131-mean-street.aspx

There are just so many options that I'm a bit overwhelmed! Any suggestions of bikes to test ride would be very much appreciated.

Big thanks in advance!

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    beardyt0m wrote:
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am looking for a new bike on CycleScheme.

The bike is for my daily commute, about 2 miles of fairly flat tarmac each way. My priorities are simple, reliable, easy/low maintenance, lighter the better. Though I like the sound of single-speed, I know I would miss at least a few gears. Hub gears and disc brakes would be nice for their lower maintenance. I would need mudguards, but no rack/panniers. I've been cycling a long time so have helmet/reflective jacket/lock/lights/etc. Budget is ~£500.

I like the look of Ridgeback Avenida 7 (though I'd lose the rack to keep weight down):
    http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bi ... _bike=TRUE

I'm also tempted by a Dawes Mean Street:
    http://www.dawescycles.com/p-131-mean-street.aspx

There are just so many options that I'm a bit overwhelmed! Any suggestions of bikes to test ride would be very much appreciated.

Big thanks in advance!

My dull, but uninteresting answer is:

Ignore the cycle for work scheme, buy something second-hand for <£150 from ebay.

It will be fine for your journey to work, you will love it, and you will have more idea in a few months time about what your priorities are in a new bike.

Bikes are too bloody expensive.
  • beardyt0m
    WesternWay, thanks for the reply!

My current bike needs repairs costing less than £150, so if I wanted to spend that sort of money I would just do that. Really, what I'm after is an end to the constant maintenance this bike requires, and I do not want to take the risk of an eBay job ending me up in the same boat.

My priorities (in order):
    Reliable
    Easy/low maintenance
    Hub gears and/or disc brakes
    Lightweight
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    You're going to struggle to get a decent hub geared bike at that price. Edit: actually, no it's probably more than possible.

I really would re-consider single-speed. I really, really would. It fits with your simple, low-maintenance ideals.

Why do you think you need gears?

*waits for an actual single-speeder to join in*
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    maybe a Trek Soho? Over budget at £800 but I expect it can be had for less.

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/urban/soho/soho/
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    single speed:

i converted a bike to a single speed a while ago after having a lot of trouble with the gears and was really surprised by the range you can get out of just one gear. i'd say the only things that you really need gears for when commuting are big hills and super speed (although this depends on the particular gearing). other than that single will do you.

and for £500 there is a really good range of single speed bikes that might suit you. ridgeback solo maybe? or the various charge bikes are well regarded and popular. disc brakes, i've no experience with. in my mind i don't see them really as lightweight or low maintenance, but as i say i've no experience.
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    +1 on the disk brake issue.

Although I have no experience of maintaining them from what I have read and from looking at them they appear more complicated than a V brake or similar.

I'm happy with the stopping power of my V-brakes also. Both wet and dry.

I'm sure lot's of other people prefer disks and are more than happy with them though.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    £500 might get you a 3 speed sturmey archer hubbed bike. I wouldn't bother.

Go singlespeed and get a better bike for the money.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    I've been commuting on my Specialized Langster for 3 years through all weathers and it just keeps on going. Keep it clean and lubed and it is reliability personified (if a bike can personify anything - but you get the point...). My commute is flat (Putney Bridge being the high point) - if there were some hills on the way I might look at other options. The Langster's not the "coolest" singlespeed out there but as a tool for the job described it is pretty much unbeatable at about £450. If your priorities are reliability and low maintenance (as are mine) then it should be very near the top of your list.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    You'll get opinion as wide ranging as there are bikes on this forum.

Best option, visit your local bike shops, make a note of the bikes you like (after listening to advice from the staff), pick three then come back here and get opinions on your chosen 3, there are bound to be people on here that have the same bikes and will be able to give a sound critique.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • beardyt0m
    davis wrote:
    You're going to struggle to get a decent hub geared bike at that price. Edit: actually, no it's probably more than possible.

I really would re-consider single-speed. I really, really would. It fits with your simple, low-maintenance ideals.

Why do you think you need gears?

*waits for an actual single-speeder to join in*

OK OK! I will give a single-speed a go tonight.... BUT this will be my only bike (no room for more where I live), so it will have to do a bit of everything. Steep hills and going proper fast are not part of the daily commute, but they will be part of this bike's life.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    beardyt0m wrote:

Ha! This sounds like one of my earlier posts when I too was seduced by the appeal of hub gears and disc brakes.

If your commute does not involve major hills then discard the hub gear idea: you would not gain anything extra in speed (other than perhaps one or two seconds at the lights) that would not be made up for by the lightness of a decent single speed.

Also, disc brakes, if anything, are much more complicated than rim brakes (stopping my old ones from rubbing was a continual nightmare).

Like has been said above, there are lots for you to try in your price range and although I adore my Fuji Track, it's been customized and I bought it second-hand so there's not much point in me recommending one of those. If I was in your shoes, the first bike I would try out would be the Genesis Day One (a decent bike shop will swap the tyres over to something more slick for free) and then take it from there.

Good Luck!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halcyon Yukon, hub geared and hub (roller not disc) brakes
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=9227

My LBS has one in, reasonably light and comfy.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • beardyt0m
    Halcyon Yukon, hub geared and hub (roller not disc) brakes
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... ts_id=9227

My LBS has one in, reasonably light and comfy.

Simon

Wow, that price looks incredible! What's the catch?!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    beardyt0m wrote:

Its looks for starters! :shock:

If you really want to head down that route then check Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative as they make a bike (Revolution Courier Disc 09) that ticks all of your boxes. It is well within your price bracket and they have excellent customer service, but if you think for one second that you will want to enjoy the thrill in pushing yourself physically then go for something lighter and more responsive.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the carerra subway 8 yet? Thats within your budget, looks pretty nice, has the 8 speed shimano nexus hub and hub gears, will be a comfy commuter and reliable too
  • beardyt0m
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned the carerra subway 8 yet? Thats within your budget, looks pretty nice, has the 8 speed shimano nexus hub and hub gears, will be a comfy commuter and reliable too

My current bike is a Carerra Subway 2 - pretty much the same thing as this but with cabled disc brakes and derailleur gears (albeit a 2004 model). It has way too much 'flex' from day one, it just doesn't feel solid. It has needed CONSTANT maintenance, wheels and brakes need truing all the time. I don't know why you would think one of these would be reliable!

Not only are my local Halfords staff pretty incompetent (it took them weeks and a lot of money in replacement parts to diagnose a chain slipping problem) but they don't have the correct spares. The last straw was when they told me they no longer 'do' the wheels or tires for my bike so I'd have to fit different ones. This when the brand new model is sat 20 feet away with the exact parts I need fitted to it!

I am happy to say goodbye to Halfords and graduate to a proper LBS. Plus, I don't think they do CycleScheme?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    beardyt0m wrote:

Its looks for starters! :shock:

In the flesh they look good, photo doesn't do it justice.

As for the subway, most people give it good reviews, although I do agree that service at Halfords can be very hit and miss, not just on a store by store basis, but also on a person by person basis, too many (any would be too many!) of the staff have a 'big company' mentality, thinking their individual actions will have little or no effect on the company overall.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    beardyt0m wrote:
    Ryan Jones wrote:

My current bike is a Carerra Subway 2 - pretty much the same thing as this but with cabled disc brakes and derailleur gears (albeit a 2004 model). It has way too much 'flex' from day one, it just doesn't feel solid. It has needed CONSTANT maintenance, wheels and brakes need truing all the time. I don't know why you would think one of these would be reliable!

Not only are my local Halfords staff pretty incompetent (it took them weeks and a lot of money in replacement parts to diagnose a chain slipping problem) but they don't have the correct spares. The last straw was when they told me they no longer 'do' the wheels or tires for my bike so I'd have to fit different ones. This when the brand new model is sat 20 feet away with the exact parts I need fitted to it!

The wheels on pretty much any off the peg bike, especially one at this price, will have been built quickly in a factory and as such to extract best stiffness, longtivity and performance getting them trued by a proper bike shop with the proper equipment will leave you with a perfectly decent wheelset and will also play a key factory in addressing your "flexy" feel. The shimano nexus hub the subway 8 uses was perfectly reliable on my diamondback nexus i used last year and performed well the brakes were as good as a basic set of cable disks but need they be much better? Speaking of cable disks they're notorious for being maintainence hungry, constantly needing the pads offset, cables cleaning etc etc. We aren't discussing cars or anything complicated here, as long as a bike is set up correctly from day 1 it'll last ages with basic maintainence if it's half decent (which the carrera is)
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    If your commute does not involve major hills then discard the hub gear idea: you would not gain anything extra in speed (other than perhaps one or two seconds at the lights) that would not be made up for by the lightness of a decent single speed.

Ah, now, I feel extremely qualified to comment, given my two bikes, both of which I use for commuting, depending on my mood.

On the Mixer I am very quick away from the lights. I leave people behind and they do not usually catch up. (Of course, this may say as much about how poorly many people use gears.) I'm never that quick off the mark on the fixie. As for weight and speed, if you're strong enough then I don't think the weight of a hub gear slows you down in the short term; it'll be more tiring over the course of a ride, certainly, compared to a geared roadie or a single speed (but not a fixie, which is, IME, at least as tiring because of the constant pedalling).
    Also, disc brakes, if anything, are much more complicated than rim brakes (stopping my old ones from rubbing was a continual nightmare).

As long as nothing goes wrong with your hub brakes, they're fine. Tweaking them or fixing problems is definitely more of a problem, no argument at all.