Which tubs to get and should I go with glue or tape?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited June 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi people, looking to dive into the world of tubular wheels and tyres and looking for advise.

Anyone got any recommendations for which tub tyres would be a good tyre to do TT's with and Triathlon.

I'm guessing they come with some sort of tyre/puncture protection. Looking for somethnig tht isn't going to break the bank - so I guess a good all rounder.

Also do people tend to go for glue or tape.. which should I consider and why?

Grateful for any pearls of wisdom,

Cheers,

Dru.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    There are almost as many tubs as tyres these days. Are they race day only or training and race. Vittoria andd Conti are worth a look. Cement is my pitch. (No pun inteded)
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • dru
    They will be used for racing only so friday night TT's a few triathlons etc.

I have a set of clinchers for training on.

Cheers,

Dru.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Then you can go a little up the food chain. The Conti website breaks them down easily. The vittoria you can pay from £20-60. See what fits your wallet and then you're doing the weight vs puncture resistance sums.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm a Tufo fan. Easiest tire to get glued on STRAIGHT and very durable. Conti sprinters
    are also a very sturdy tire, at a reasonable price, that can be used daily or for racing.
    To be honest I'll never go back to glue. Tufo, or a few other brands, of tubular tape is the only way to go.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    After flatting 2 tubs in one 35 mile ride on Sunday, I'd say ALL tubs bankrupt you..

Deffo go with tub tape though, and get your tufos from velomax.co.uk - I ordered monday and they were on my desk before i got into work tuesday.
  • dru
    I see that Tufo tape recommends only tufo tubs. Is this the same with all manufacturers? Ie get a matched set of tubs with the tape?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Naah - I use any. Its only a double sided sticky tape - I dont see why you'd need to match.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dru wrote:
    I see that Tufo tape recommends only tufo tubs. Is this the same with all manufacturers? Ie get a matched set of tubs with the tape?

I think it's more a case of Tufo trying to sell their own tires. Wouldn't make much sense for them to even mention a competitor.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    There have been threads on here in the past, whereby guys have found that the only times they've had a tub roll off, etc... Has been when they mixed manufactures tape/cement with different tyres...

I have no personal experience of this... But, I have stuck (sic!) to Vittoria for both...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    cougie wrote:
    After flatting 2 tubs in one 35 mile ride on Sunday, I'd say ALL tubs bankrupt you..

Deffo go with tub tape though, and get your tufos from velomax.co.uk - I ordered monday and they were on my desk before i got into work tuesday.

Cougie, glad that Velomax came up with the goods - he always gives good service.
    IME If you're after something pretty durable, then you can't go far wrong with Tufos, particularly if you use the sealant and likewise, the tape is very sticky and easier to apply than make others with paper backing which can be a pain.

For outright performance my recommendations are Veloflex Carbons or Vittoria Evo CXs - you'll need deeper pockets though.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    I say go with glue.

The tape has its merits, mainly that it is cleaner than glue (though the glue is viscous and it's normal to do a job without getting any glue anywhere other than the brush, rim and tub base tape IME).

But tape often leaves behind a wretched residue that needs removed before fitting another tub (to do it safely at least).

Glueing is intimidating but is actually very easy.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    A pair of Veloflex Carbons with tub tape. Easy to use and very sticky

http://www.veloflex.it/products/tubulars.asp#Carbon
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!