Suggest best tyre width for commuting on mtb

Daan Hammond
Daan Hammond Posts: 38
edited July 2010 in The workshop
I'm planning to switch my knobblies to slicks to use my mtb for getting to work on.

Any ideas what the optimum width would be for slicks. Have seen some bargainous Conti GPs but they are one inch only. Is likely to be too narrow? Any thoughts appreciated.

My route is mixed in terms of road quality!

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Useful table HERE scroll down to Width Considerations. 1.5" usually does it.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Cheers - thanks for that!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect the conti's will be too narrow for your rims, they are too narrow for mine. The rim internal width needs to be 17mm or less, the common 'narrow' 26" MTB wheel is 19mm), so I'm running 1.3" WTB slickasaurus although there are other good offerings in that size (notably from Schwalbe), the daughter is running some Budget 1.95" Bronx on her MTB commuter, but they are heavy although pretty bombproof.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cbkN258
    cbkN258 Posts: 1
    Very nice post. This will help possible client to get a quality person.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Fit big slicks (balloon tyres) they'll be more comfortable, and the speed difference over skinny slicks is minimal.
  • Cheers for all the comments. I bought Vittoria Randonneurs which are 26 x 1.5, in the end. They go up to 95 psi, have a reflective band and where £10 each at Decathlon when I was there last week so will give them a try. Athough they do not seem featherweight I hope that they will be durable and quicker than the big fat stock knobbly tiogas.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's a very good price!

They don't need to be as heavy as off road tyres often are, although for road tyres my WTB's are a realtively portly 540g each.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.