"Flaoting" rear brake for single pivot

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But sonic, moving the IC of the brake linkage will do nothing to counteract squat or jack.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As in the PM, we'll both try and explain our thinking :wink:
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    One important note:

Reason I spelt it "Flaoting" on the title, I was using the laptop in the garden, and the sun was on the screen.

Tried to use the Mrs shorts to shield the screen - she was in her new skimpy bikini - but obviously it didn't work...

I may have been distracted somewhat too.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't like this BISL thing, sounds lethal.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, after some pretty in depth analysis, I think I have to admit that the main reason for my hatred of the Konas I've ridden may have been ill founded.

What seemed to happen was that (being a big old unit) the sag on the bikes were excessive, meaning that the rear axle was far too high for optimum braking, This means that at sagged ride height, the rear brake could only ever cause the suspension to extend, due to it being in the upper part of the axle path curvature.

So, sorry Kona. :oops: (I still don't like them, but that was my main reason for the dislike)
  • Splottboy
    Well, all being ok, I'll prob go for the Mtn Cycle Fury over the KHS 204/604 next week.

Just think that, when we return to "normal" weather, a Single - Pivot and full length cables might better suit our lovely area!

With headset, seatpost, seatclamp it comes to around £500 or so.
    Not bad for a frame that retails around £800 - 900 English Pounds.

Just hope that nothing else turns up between now and then.

Thanks for all the info. some of which I actually understood.
    Just some though...
  • Anonymous
    Some 4-bar designs require less maintenance than single pivot designs, remember. It's all about the quality of the bearing seals.
  • Splottboy
    Yep, but I like the look of the Fury, and it'll be my 4th Mtn Cycle.
    And the LAST the Mrs says...

Like the way they are made, ride and can be set up.
    Fairly bomb proof, and recall getting up REALLY steep part of the Marin - actually its near the Marin, on a footpath....( It brings you out by the lake.)

Very steep, r/hand hairpin, wet slate, loose, greasy and rocky. Cleared it a few times on the San Andreas. Failed a few times on so-called XC bikes.

Not many riders I know could clear it w.out dabbing. Young, fit XC dudes too.

Think it was the bike, not me!