Setting up SPD cleats

sian_c
sian_c Posts: 101
edited June 2010 in The workshop
So I've just bought myself some new cycling shoes (Specialized Sport MTB) as my old ones (Shimano 'standard' road type shoe) had become too small since I stopped climbing so much & I was also grinding my cleats a lot from having to walk around too much & not having the ground clearance.

Anyway... I put the new cleats in this morning and just placed them in the centre at the front & straight. I had to fiddle with them a bit on my ride in so that I wasn't feeling pigeon-toed or duck-footed & think I've now got that about right. But I was wondering how you tell how far forward or back to place them? Or is it just whatever feels right? Might it cause particular problems if you place them too much the wrong way?

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I place mine as far back as possible. I've always felt if SPD cleats are too far forward it places more strain on my ankles, calfs and knees. But that's just for me.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I think I have read on this site somewhere that the ideal position is for the ball of your foot to sit about 2mm forward of the centre line of the pedal axle.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • sian_c
    sian_c Posts: 101
    Thanks Carlos - just had a quick look & found this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... t+position

Ought to have done that sooner - sorry! :oops: