Gear selection question

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
I have a tricross with an 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32 cassette at the rear and a 50-39-30 (or is it 34? - doesn't matter for my question).

I normally pootle along on the flat in the 50x16 or 50x18 and move up and down the rear cassette as needed.

At what point when using the 50 chainring and moving up the cassette would I be better off moving to the 39 chainring instead of moving up the rear cassette?

The assumption I make when asking this question is that at some point there is crossover between the 50 and 39 chainrings.

I'll look into this properly when I get home from work this evening.

Cheers for any help

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    You should change to the 39 (middle ring) to avoid your chain going to extremes... ie; Big ring to 32 at the back...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    hopper1 wrote:
    You should change to the 39 (middle ring) to avoid your chain going to extremes... ie; Big ring to 32 at the back...
    I know this. My question was hypothetical. e.g. instead of going from 50x21 to 50x24 would I be better off going to 39x21. This is the sort of thing I was asking.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I can only speak for myself but when I get close to an undesirable combination (chain angle) its a matter of anticipating whether the the next change is likely to be up or down. For example, if approaching a longish ascent I would change to a smaller sprocket, but then drop to the smaller ring well before the climb starts. Similarly when approaching congested traffic & lights etc where you may need a lower gear for acceleration.
    Conversely, when the going is getting easier, it seems a good idea to get on the big ring in readiness for a series of up changes as you accelerate.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I used to try keeping a good chain line (staying in higher gears in big chainring, full range on middle chainring (usually on climbs or off-road) and lower gears for granny ring (seldom used) - only to find my casette needed replacing, as I'd worn a couple of the mid to high gears. :cry:

However, to answer the OP, I think a lot is down to feel and individual preference, regardless of the actual ratios. Personally, I find a much better rythm on climbs and off-road in the middle chain ring, compared to low gears in the big chainring, even though ratios are similar. Best to experiment a bit, and see what works best for you.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    keep the straightest chainline. but generally bigger chainring = less wear.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I tend to use big chainring for downhill, middle chainring for flat or short / gentle gradients, and small for longer, steeper hills.

I don't worry too much about chainline