Shall I/Shan't I Cadence Computer

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
I need a computer on my bike. I think it will stop me slacking on the commute :-)

I have waited because I have been fairly tempted to have cadence on it, in order to train myself not to slip into grinding habits, but have never quite pulled the trigger because the incremental cost over a simpler thing seems high.

So, do YOU have a cadence computer and do you find it useful?

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    do it mate. do it. you wont regret it.

cadence has improved the way i ride
  • WesternWay
    spasypaddy wrote:
    do it mate. do it. you wont regret it.

cadence has improved the way i ride

Which one do you have? I think I'll take the plunge
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Garmin 705
    :lol:

i used to have a blackburn and rated it very highly, and you cant go wrong with a cateye.
  • WesternWay
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Garmin 705

i used to have a blackburn and rated it very highly, and you cant go wrong with a cateye.

+1. I use the GPS stuff on my phone as an "after the event" thing, but will have a look at the Blackburn and Cateye things.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    The one I often recommend (because I've got one) is the Topeak Comp 140. Wired, not wireless but it works well and gives you enough ride info to keep you happy. Around £30 these days, Halford were knocking em out not so long back.

+1 on the Go For It - cadence is more useful than outright speed as a measurement indicator. Once you've had it for a while you'll wonder why you nearly didn't bother.
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    +1 on the cadence.

It's good to help you develop a smooth pedal stroke even though your speed is fluctuating....

ie....try and keep at the same number of revs per minute over a given stretch. Plus as a rule I never let my cadence drop below 80.

I have the Cateye Double Wireless that works well.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • WesternWay
    CiB wrote:
    The one I often recommend (because I've got one) is the Topeak Comp 140. Wired, not wireless but it works well and gives you enough ride info to keep you happy. Around £30 these days, Halford were knocking em out not so long back.

+1 on the Go For It - cadence is more useful than outright speed as a measurement indicator. Once you've had it for a while you'll wonder why you nearly didn't bother.

Ooh really, that is cheap... coo
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132

I have the Cateye Double Wireless that works well.

+1
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    To add a contrary opinion, I wouldn't bother. It doesn't matter really if you're grinding, just ride at whatever cadence you feel comfortable at. The only time I've ever really used the cadence function on my computer was to see how fast I could spin on my rollers without falling off (around 180rpm :)).
  • WesternWay
    whyamihere wrote:
    To add a contrary opinion, I wouldn't bother. It doesn't matter really if you're grinding, just ride at whatever cadence you feel comfortable at. The only time I've ever really used the cadence function on my computer was to see how fast I could spin on my rollers without falling off (around 180rpm :)).

See this keeps going through my head too.

The other thing is that I suspect I tend to grind when I am tired, which means that the computer will basically say to me "you are tired", which generally I am aware of :-)

I'll probably get one and see how I go... I currently don't have anything (other than mytracks whispering in my ear)
  • leehellcat
    leehellcat Posts: 37
    I have a Cateye Strada with cadence. think it was £30 or £35 from my LBS.
    Cadence is a really useful measurement, if I could I waould have that rather than the speed showing, as I am not that fussed about speed, but like to keep my legs spinning at a reasonably constant effort. 85-95 is my average cadence, I seem to have a sweet spot at 100 which is just like gliding along.
    Mainly I use it for climbing hills, by sticking to 80-85 rpm I ignore my speed and just keep my legs spinning to get me to the top. Makes for a more relaxing climb.

Conclusion, Definately worth the extra money.
  • whyamihere wrote:

I've never used cadence, but I did buy a HRM which got used once or twice before getting forgotten about. It didn't tell me anything I couldn't guess: If I'm going too fast, I start feeling knackered, and I should slow down.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    spasypaddy wrote:
    wow that topeak is an ugly piece of kit
    Yeah I noticed too that it does reflect quite badly, almost like a mirror. What? Oh I see... :)

Horses for courses. I see it as a functional bit of kit. I like it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I have a Cateye Strada Double Wireless. I used the cadence function a few times until I had a decent idea of what 100rpm or so felt like. Tend not to use it now.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    WesternWay wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    The other thing is that I suspect I tend to grind when I am tired, which means that the computer will basically say to me "you are tired", which generally I am aware of :-)

If I'm tired I may not be thinking about my cadence and I find it a useful prompt - a reminder to move down a gear or two. I also find it useful when cycling against a headwind.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    I've just got a Cateye V3 and so far so good - like Agent57 says, it's good to know what cadence you are riding at and after a while you will have a pretty good idea what you're doing from feel.

I'd love to get a Garmin 705 but couldn't justify the cost right now. The V3 has cadence and HRM which I reckon is really useful as you can ride to your heart rate zones which is easier said than done in certain situations.

The Cateye range are great - my last one had a fault after 3 months but my LBS gave me a credit aganst the V3.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I think a cadence computer may be a bit overkill for most people, but being aware of your own cadence can be beneficial.

So instead of a cadence computer I printed out a table of speeds I should be aiming for at a specific cadence, and wrapped it around the handlebar.

Infact, I would like to see a cadence computer that gives you a target cadence based on the current gear, which you can set in advance and that would be quite helpful since just knowing I am doing 90 rpm up a climb does not tell me if that's what I should be training at for that particular gear.