Dented Mavic 717

Prowler
Prowler Posts: 50
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Got the brilliant idea of shedding some weigt with a new wheelset with Mavic's 717s. I was immediately rewarded with two nasty dents in the rear. This leads to two questions:

1) Is there any point in trying to straighten the dented rim, or Is it likely to damage the rim even more?

2) Is there some other rim in the 717's width/weight category that will take more abuse?

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I dented a rim yrs ago and after speaking to one of the wheel builders in my area then was advised its really not worth tryin and better to just get a new rim/wheel.

As for rims in the same category theres the mavic XM719 or only slightly heavier but stronger again (and the rims i use) mavic EN521, these are slightly wider than the 717 or 719's so give the tire a squarer profile and more protection against damage.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    I put a hole in my brand new 717 after hitting a rock. I just filled it with some silicone gasket & it's been fine for over a year & a half with 2 trips to Afan.

Don't be so precious :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I put innumerable dents in my 717s, while my Olympics remained dent free on the same riding. I'd look at the new ZTR Crest (355 replacement) or Alpine (Olympic replacement), both are lighter than the 717s, whilst being tougher. Really easy to convert to tubeless too if that's your bag!

Incidentally you may be able to get the dent out with an adjustable spanner or some mole grips, I put a big dent in my Rovals and managed to get it out, although it's likely to have made a significant flat spot in the rim you won't be able to get around.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pics? Also, consider more air pressure or bigger tyres, pretty much any rim will dent if you hit it hard enough. 717s aren't exactly weaklings, sure they're XC rims but mine did me proud, Innerleithen and so on...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Prowler
    Prowler Posts: 50
    Northwind wrote:
    Pics? Also, consider more air pressure or bigger tyres, pretty much any rim will dent if you hit it hard enough. 717s aren't exactly weaklings, sure they're XC rims but mine did me proud, Innerleithen and so on...

Sorry no pics.

Current tyres are 2.35 single ply Maxxis minions, which are about as big as I would put on this rim.

You might have a point about the air pressure since I do prefer the lower end of the pressure range (currently 2.7 bar and the range for these tyres is 2.5 - 4.5). But then again, the impacts that dented the rim were not enouh to puncture a light weight tube (continental MTB light). Does it make sense?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    Never had a problem with my 717's in over a year and they have taken a few decent whacks. That said, I tend to run higher tyre pressures than you, but not that much higher.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    I have EN521's a tad heavy but they are fantastic and I would ALWAYS recommend them :)