finding the perfect saddle height

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
should my leg be 100% fully extended for maximum power ? I think I am losing power.

Comments

• sods_law
    sods_law Posts: 161
    No.

As a rule of thumb, sit on the saddle, and you should be able touch the heel of your foot against the pedal when its in the downward position.

When the pedal is at the 3 o'clock position, the front of your knee should be above the pedal axle if you drop a plumb line down.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I would say no. But the problem with any kind of bike fit is you could use 10 different "systems", get 10 different saddle heights and none of them would necessarily be wrong. How did you come up with your current height?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    25-30 degree bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke for maximum power and endurance. Which is what you achieve more or less with the heel on the pedal routine.

If your leg is completely straight you're going to have a dead spot at the bottom of the stroke where you're generating no power at all from your big muscles, and only a bit from your calf if you point your foot down. Which in my experience is likely to result in calf cramp or injury.

Watch some videos of the professionals. No straight legs till they are on the podium.