Questions about Tyres for an older roadbike

Ben501
Ben501 Posts: 3
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
I've just bought a Peugeot PKN10 as a beginner bike, I don't have it as yet but I know it's going to need some new tyres, the rims are:

Rear: Mavic MA2 700C
Front: Mavic Module E2

Has anyone got any advice on tyres, PSIs I need to be going for?

I was thinking 23s on the front and 25s on the rear, unsure of brands as yet but possibly one 23 and one 25 from the Specialized All Condition range - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-tyre-ec001821

Or just 23 Gator Skins on front and back?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    If it was mine, I would stick to the same width tyre front and back. Width depending on type of use and comfort. The MA2 is a popular rim with tourists and will comfortably take a 28mm tyre. All said, I would probably be running 23mm tyres at 100+ psi.

A lot is about personal preference however.

How's that for a definitive answer?
  • Ben501
    Ben501 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the response. Having read up on different tyres front and back, it's not going to make much of a noticeable difference I don't think.

So the plan now is to purchase a pair of cheap, entry level tires, maybe the Continental Ultrasports?

The reason for this being I'm going to New York at the end of July and better quality tires seem a fair bit cheaper and then I'd have spares as well.

My question now is do I go 28mm or 23mm, I'm very much a beginner roadbike user and the roads near me aren't brilliant although they're not exactly potholey so I'm a bit unsure what to do.

Obviously this problem may be solved when I actually get the bike, ride it on whatever tires it has and see how it rides.