luggage carrying

flateric
flateric Posts: 201
edited June 2010 in Road beginners
ok, hope this isnt too silly a query, I want to use the road bike on occasion to carry work stuff, in two pannier type bags,

i dont believe in rucksacks, i think the load should be on the bike but are there any issues in putting a rack on a road bike, is there a loading issue on the frame?

I am assuming that as mount points exist, there is no issue on what i fit to them !!

F.Eric
Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
(is 3 too many bikes)

Comments

• mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    depending on what bike you have, and whether it has the necessary fittings for Mudguards/panniers, will determine what you buy..

There are solutions for most bikes though!

as for weight and mounting, the weight is all at the back, so unless you want to transport 2 Acme 10 tonne anvils, you shouldnt have to worry! =D
    exercise.png
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    Got the bike, just dont use it enough as most of my biking is commuting.

Not tried it with a rack yet!
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Depending on what you are carrying, you might consider spoke number increase.
    I used to carry a lot of weight in panniers on my commute with a touring bike. After a few spoke breakages I used a 40 spoke wheel on the back and fitted low riders on the front to spread the load. Never had any problems after that and the low riders improved the handling.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Some mid-lower-end road bikes such Specialized Allez come with threaded eyelets for a rear lugagge rack.
    If you have eyelets then the rack you need is a standard bolt-on style, NOT a seatpost clamp. Tortec seems to be the std model at reasonable price. Topeak have a special MTX rail system which may not work with non-Topeak bags.
    If you dont use fenders, then the racks with a solid top-plate will provide some protection. The racks without a top-plate are easier to use for large loads, bungied on top.
    Look for non-adjustable legs the correct length to start with.
    A rear light bracket is useful

Panniers with a heel cutout profile can alleviate the problem of short chainstays and help keep your load forward.
    Modern quick-release locking mount systems are preferred to hook and elastic or velcro.