Calf cramp

Jaydoubleyou
Jaydoubleyou Posts: 41
edited July 2010 in Road beginners
Since coming back to road riding after too many years off, a couple of months ago, I have been steadily building my mileages and speeds without any problems.
That is until a week or so back.
During the last mile of a 20 miler I experienced severe calf cramp. It hit so hard and so quick that I almost fell off trying to deal with it!
I had twinges for a couple of days after. This happened again a week later in the same leg at the same point of the same ride (my regular training route) and I have felt twinges every time I have gone out since (in either leg). I now constantly feel like either of them could 'go' at any point in the ride, especially when I am going for it.
Is it possible that I am attempting too much too soon (bearing in mind I started from nowhere other than a bit of fell walking) or is the problem more likely to be more complicated?
Any advice would be appreciated, as this cramp (and threat of it) is spoiling my fun!
Jeff

Comments

• mattward1979
    mattward1979 Posts: 692
    I have this too.. For me its a change in technique that is WAY more efficient, but using my muscles in an unfamiliar way that causes cramps after a while.

Electrolytes and Potassium is your friend!!

I use 1/2 water 1/2 gatorade as fluid and eat bananananananas like a monkey when im on longer rides!!
    exercise.png
  • Cheers Matt.
    The strange thing is that I haven't changed anything (other than pushing a bit harder) and the problem didn't occur when I was starting out, but is now happening more and more often as my fitness increases.
    I am just trying to get a handle on weather it is down to technique, muscle damage from over training, lack of fluids / minerals whilst riding etc.
  • DCowling
    DCowling Posts: 769
    Hi

I have only just gotten into the whole bike thing again after 20yrs, and typicall of me I went out full bore and expected to be able to achieve what I could in my youth.......!
    I currently ride an on loan full suspension bike ( looking to get my own bikle ) and I aim to do around 15 miles at a time on it, but like you I get what can only be described as knots in my calf muscles after about 10 miles ( especially if I have stood in peddles to put a quick sprint in )
    It got so bad one day that I could not touch the muscle as it was so tender. I now take plenty of water some energy snack ( banana's usually ) and if I have to I will stop and stretch the leg, ( toes on a kerb and lower myself down so muscle pulls out )
    I still get the cramps but using these few things, I have managed to keep them to a managable level ( I hope!!)

Hope this helps

Dave ( hopalong ) Cowling
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I managed to cause a spell of severe calf cramps by having the saddle just a little bit too high. (seatpost was slipping and I was constantly fiddling) You say you haven't changed anything, but is this a possibility?

I got past it by setting the saddle correctly (had to phone Epic to ask what it should be :oops: ), taking it easy for a week, increasing cadence a bit and trying to get more fluid down during a ride.

No cramp for ages, despite pushing pretty hard on the hills. Touch wood.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I had exactly the same problem earlier this year when I was up-ing my training in preparation for the Caledonia Etape. So I did a bit of research on the net and discovered that they're not completely sure what causes cramp. So I suppose different things might work for different folk. I agree with the electrolytes (I started taking a recovery drink) and potassium (I don't like bananas, so I used nuts). But I think what worked for me was I started taking a Vitamin E supplement. I haven't had a problem since.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    I'm led to believe that that when you get cramp it leaves scar tissue on the muscle in question, which, unless broken down by massage, makes it more likely to get cramp again in the affected muscle.

there's no one solution fits all unfortunately, potassium deficiency (eat bananas), salt deficiency (quinnine sulphate supplements or similar), dehydration (drink more), heat (wear less?) or just poor muscle conditioning and/or lack of fitness (ride more!)

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    Jeff. I used to get calf cramp in the 90s, often in the middle of the night then have to stand up trying to straighten the leg and in absolute agony.

Since I came back to cycling in the late noughties electrolytes have been my friend too. Tow bottles of drink on the road, 1 with PSP22 (65g to 600ml of water) and 1 Nuun or equivalent anti-cramp tablet.

I have not suffered cramp on a single occasion with this routine. However, one of my weekend 4-hour off-road rides had me doubled up with simultaneous cramp in both legs, one calf and the other the quad. Camelbak for off-road loaded only with water so as not to contaminate the (Cmaelbak) bladder. I keep a packet of Nuuns in the pocket and at the end of an off-road ride drop a tablet into a glass or bottle of water without fail. No more problems.

Try the electrolyte reocmmendations either with tablets I and others use or a home made alternative.
  • Thanks all for the input.
    The main problem seems to be that there is no definitive cause, which makes it really hard to diagnose. I guess I am going to have to work on the various possible causes.
    One last thing - my last bout of cramp was on Tuesday evening and I am still getting twinges now. Is there any opinion on whether I should rest my leg till the twinges pass or just get out there this weekend, take it easy and hope for best?
    I am itching (or should that be twitching) to get back out on the road!
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Once I'd started taking action against the cramp I just went out and got on with it. No problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. But I think you should get out there, don't go balls out but push a wee bit see how you get on. Build up your confidence little by little. If you find your still suffering try some other drinks/foods/supplements 'til you get something that works.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Thanks for the advice.
    The trouble is it is starting to freak me out a little. I have had cramp three times, and they have been in my last four rides, so I am now setting off on a ride thinking if/when.
    Psychologically I need to get a decent trouble free ride in, but have not been sure wether complete rest for a bit first would be best.
    I might give it a go but make sure I have some back up for if I come unstuck.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    With cramp after 20 miles, eating bananas and putting pottasium in drinks will not hel as your not doing far enough to worry about that.
    It is more important to get bike set up correct.
    Then once you get more miles in the cramp will eventually get less and you can do even longer miles.
    Initially it is better to do low intensity miles, lower gears and not pushing too fast, that will come with more rides.