Overtaken for the first time :oops:

mnid1977
mnid1977 Posts: 13
edited June 2010 in Commuting chat
So i've been out and about since I got my bike 2 weeks ago and while I've passed many a cyclist head on I've neither overtaken one or been overtaken...... until tonight.. :cry:

Yes, they were on a roadie and me on my trusty Boardman but just as I was about to feel a little downhearted the guy looked at me as he went past and said "what a lovely bit of kit" :roll: ..... now I'm not one who normally gets compliments of any kind from women or men so i can only think he was referring to my bike :lol:

Made me feel a little better..... and I did my longest ride so far - 6.86 miles for the fatman !! :shock:

Roll on more good weather tomorrow!

DH
Commuting on a Boardman MTB Comp with slicks.....

23st 1lb and shrinking.....

Pic 1

Pic 2

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Good on you! Excellent work, but learn to be overtaken by those on what could be deemed to be "lower" bikes in the foodchain. Fitness is everything..... it will come. Hard work and endless fun lie ahead...
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yes being overtaken when you haven't the fitness can be a little disheartening but when you do get some fitness overtaking someone who looks like they know what they are doing on a bike is very satisfying.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Or move to the country where there are very few cycle commuters so you only really get passed by roadies on expensive bikes. And on the rare occasion you do see someone commuting they are usually cycling along the pavement so don't count. :D

Actually I think I may have to try and get out early one morning to see if MR misery guts is still commuting. He's the only on road cycling commuter I've seen that has overtaken me, that was back before Christmas. I should be fitter by now and it would be interesting to see if he'd still leave me for dust.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Go Suzy! :lol:
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    mnid1977 wrote:
    So i've been out and about since I got my bike 2 weeks ago and while I've passed many a cyclist head on I've neither overtaken one or been overtaken...... until tonight.. :cry:

DH

You will be surprised at how quickly fitness will come if you let it.

I am 5ft8 and the best part of 16stone, but find that I now have a fair turn of speed, and indeed can put the bike up the hill on the way home quicker than most other people on the hill.

Now if only I can stop drinking, I reckon that the weight will fall off. I currently have hard legs and a soft top :-)
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Being passed does suck, but I find it gives me a spurt of energy, to try and catch/keep up with the overtaker :lol:

Currently commuting 10 miles each way through the countryside which is fantastic in this weather. The weight isn't tumbling off too fast, but I've dropped about 1 1/2 stone though in the last 3 months :) Teetering around 20 - 20 1/2st and I'm 5' 7". I commute fixed, and I love it! I've been commuting for several years, but that was more like 5 miles a day - just a quick 2.5 mile blast to work. I've since moved house though.

I have the same problem though, not really any other cyclists on my journey. Very occasionally I see one or two, and pass them with ease (mostly normal folk on cheap/old mtb's). It's nice to meet up with a friend who lives half way to work (and works in the same building). As he's generally a fair bit fitter (certainly lighter!), and has fresher legs when we meet it's a good challenge to keep the pace for the rest of the way to work :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Hi

As others have said, your fitness will come eventually. I too was a fat-man 7 months ago but, a diet, alot of cycling and cross-training and I am now down to just over 15st and two and a half pound away from my 15st target weight. I feel so much better it's unreal. Last week i did my first 50 miler for ten years and plan on doing a few organised events this year. Keep it going fella, it will come. :D

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    chigman wrote:
    I am now down to just over 15st and two and a half pound away from my 15st target weight.
    You're 30 stone? :shock:
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    I didn't give my starting weight did I. :oops: I was 20st 4.5lb to start with and now 15st 2.5lb. My target is 15st on the money, so 2.5lb to go. :D

steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid